How to access external harddrive connected to tv over wifi

PaulNaude

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
Hi, I have an external harddrive connected directly to my Samsung smart tv. The tv is on my home wifi network. I can't seem to find any way to view/edit content on that harddrive from any other device on the wifi network. I tried Samsung Link, but it seems I can only do it the other way round ( access media from the tv on other devices). In my case, I want the hardrive always accesible from the tv - when my family is at home, my notebook and I may not be. So when I am home, I would like to add/backup media to this hardrive from my pc without having to discconnect and relocate the hardrive's power etc. My wifi router doesn't have a usb port which seems to be the only alternative at this point.

PaulNaude

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015

Thanks but unfortunately my router does not have a usb port. I just now updated my question to include that.

Hey there, PaulNaude!

Is the external drive a desktop or a portable one? If it's the latter, it's not really advisable to have it constantly connected to a device/system. You might want to consider saving up for a new router and/or a network-attached storage (NAS) which would be accessible from all your computer devices, phones and TV, only when connected to the router!
It's possible to keep the external constantly connected and back up, if it's a desktop drive which usually has an additional power supply (besides the USB port). The portable HDDs, however, spin down and it's inevitable most of the time. Even if you find a way to keep a portable drive constantly powered up, it could corrupt the file system or even shorten the lifespan of the HDD. Keep in mind that file system corruption could lead to data loss, so be careful.
What is the file system of that external HDD of yours, though? I'd also like to mention that @Celtic_warrior is right, you'd need the drive to be actually plugged to the router in order to be able to access over the network, but since you don't have a USB port on it, I'm afraid that alternative is impossible as well. :(

Keep us posted though!
SuperSoph_WD