[SOLVED] How to access folders and files from windows 7 machine of files that are on a windows 10 machine

hansenjc

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
How may I open files and folders on windows 10 desktop from windows 7 laptop?
Extensive searches of the internet seem to return links to Microsoft articles which use the word 'share' but then want me to send files via email or share links or use other cloud tools. I am networked in my own house between two computers. One is Windows 10. The second computer is Windows 7. I was able to copy a large folder from the windows 7 computer and save it on my Win 10 hard drive. Now I wish to access these folders and files from my Windows 7 laptop. However, I get a message that I do not have permission to open those files. I have read several microsift posts and done all the steps, but it is not working.
Must I restart my computer(s)? Have I left out a step when changing the permissions for the folder to share them?

Solution
the best way to avoid permission issues (if that is what is going on here) is to not use the windows library folders.

simply make different folders to save to and you won't have any issues moving files back and forth. share them on the network as well and they'll all play nice.

my document folders and the others get tied to the account that made them and cause all kinds of issues when trying to share. make a folder called "share" if you wish and under it make the pics, music, videos and so on folders to keep things organized. avoid the library folders and most of these problems go away.

with that said i am not sure either what you issue is. did you copy this folder from win 7 to win 10 machine and then back again? or are you...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the best way to avoid permission issues (if that is what is going on here) is to not use the windows library folders.

simply make different folders to save to and you won't have any issues moving files back and forth. share them on the network as well and they'll all play nice.

my document folders and the others get tied to the account that made them and cause all kinds of issues when trying to share. make a folder called "share" if you wish and under it make the pics, music, videos and so on folders to keep things organized. avoid the library folders and most of these problems go away.

with that said i am not sure either what you issue is. did you copy this folder from win 7 to win 10 machine and then back again? or are you trying to share them from the win 10 machine to the win 7 laptop? it makes a difference in how to handle things

Solution