Question How to access my Router IP Address with WAN PORT through Modem?

Dragovichz

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Hi,

As the title says, Using my Desktop PC, how can I access my routers Web UI (192.168.0.1) that is connected to my modem through WAN Port?

I provided a simple picture of layout of my concern below:
Ju1CzzB.png

Router Details:

LAN IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Router new Details (After connecting in to the modem) thru WAN Port of the Router and to LAN port of the Modem.

LAN IP: 192.168.100.17

Modem Details:

LAN IP: 192.168.100.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Thank you for the upcoming reply's.

Dragovichz

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
By moving your computer connection to the LAN side of your router.
I tried that, but my point is already given. I want to access it thru WAN not LAN because I only have 1 UTP cable that is already used for the router to modem connection.

That is why I asked on how can I access my router's WEB UI thru modem.

Dragovichz

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
1. Some routers won't let you access its management page via the WAN port for security reason. Manual says u can?

2. Assuming modem is running in bridge mode (plain modem, no NAT here), router WAN IP=public IP assigned to you by ISP.

1. Ok, due to security reason you say and also there is no such thing in the manual that I can operate my routers management thru modem.

2. Plain modem Only, NO NAT. What do you mean its IP is the PUBLIC IP that my ISP is given? How can I access it?

Your modem has two Ethernet ports? One to PC and one to the Router? strange look

If your modem is acting as a router, your router should be configured as an access point not a router. But in all honesty, I think your computer should be connected to the router and not the Modem. Most routers provide elementary firewalls and logging and being in front of the router keeps those functions from happening to protect your PC.

That said, if you want to remotely access your LAN from outside your network, you need to set up OpenVPN and log in that way. It's not the only way, but it's the most secure way to gain access to all your network resources from outside the LAN.

99% of consumer routers offer crap in terms of security for remote access and administration.

As your on fiber, a Raspberry Pi won't cut it. But a J4105 or J4005 Gimnini lake with a second NIC card would work well with pfSense and OpenVPN plugin. But only if you are feeling really adventurous.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157807

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15VjDVCISj0&list=WL&index=29&t=0s

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hooker
Your modem has two Ethernet ports? One to PC and one to the Router? strange look
No.

This looks like my Arris modem. It uses 192.168.100.1 as an management IP for itself but the downstream router doesn't know anything about it. The router WAN is not on this subnet. An somewhat obscure tcp/ip thing, a NIC can be given multiple IPs, recalling from my days with Windows NT.

No.

This looks like my Arris modem. It uses 192.168.100.1 as an management IP for itself but the downstream router doesn't know anything about it. The router WAN is not on this subnet. An somewhat obscure tcp/ip thing, a NIC can be given multiple IPs, recalling from my days with Windows NT.

Well I learned something new. But I could always access 192.168.100.1 (modem) from my LAN. I'm a bit confused as to why they have two or more ports unless they were intending it to act like a Router. shoulder shrugs

Dragovichz

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

If your modem is acting as a router, your router should be configured as an access point not a router. But in all honesty, I think your computer should be connected to the router and not the Modem. Most routers provide elementary firewalls and logging and being in front of the router keeps those functions from happening to protect your PC.

That said, if you want to remotely access your LAN from outside your network, you need to set up OpenVPN and log in that way. It's not the only way, but it's the most secure way to gain access to all your network resources from outside the LAN.

99% of consumer routers offer crap in terms of security for remote access and administration.

As your on fiber, a Raspberry Pi won't cut it. But a J4105 or J4005 Gimnini lake with a second NIC card would work well with pfSense and OpenVPN plugin. But only if you are feeling really adventurous.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157807

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15VjDVCISj0&list=WL&index=29&t=0s
This is my Modem
imageServlet

Huawei Echolife EG8245H5 - 2 Gray Telephone Ports / 4 Yellow LAN Ports

this is my Router
TL-WR840N_UN_5.0_03_large_1510647855738t.jpg

TP-Link TL-WR840N - 1 Blue WAN Port / 4 Yellow LAN Port

My setup is simple

my modem is directly connected to my PC, then my router is connected thru the modem. How can I access it? the 192.168.0.1 wont appear to me and that IP is for my Router but the IP of my Modem given to the router is 192.168.100.17.

This is my Modem
imageServlet

Huawei Echolife EG8245H5 - 2 Gray Telephone Ports / 4 Yellow LAN Ports

this is my Router
TL-WR840N_UN_5.0_03_large_1510647855738t.jpg

TP-Link TL-WR840N - 1 Blue WAN Port / 4 Yellow LAN Port

My setup is simple

my modem is directly connected to my PC, then my router is connected thru the modem. How can I access it? the 192.168.0.1 wont appear to me and that IP is for my Router but the IP of my Modem given to the router is 192.168.100.17.

Okay your Hiawei is acting like a router & modem in this case. So you SHOULD configure your TP-Link as an Access Point. That said if the Huawei is assigning the 192.168.100.17 to the TP-Link, then you obviously type 192.168.100.17 in the address bar. Or use the TP Link configuration app on your android device. (TP-Link Teather) You will need your phone connected to your home wifi for this app to work.

Dragovichz

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Okay your Hiawei is acting like a router & modem in this case. So you SHOULD configure your TP-Link as an Access Point. That said if the Huawei is assigning the 192.168.100.17 to the TP-Link, then you obviously type 192.168.100.17 in the address bar. Or use the TP Link configuration app on your android device. (TP-Link Teather) You will need your phone connected to your home wifi for this app to work.
I change its operation mode to an Access Point, but one of the feature I need BANDWIDTH CONTROL is no longer available when in this mode. The reason I put a router is to control the speed of the WiFi users.

OK you placing PC on right side of modem made me think you wanted Internet access to your equipment but you are really not.

OK this can simply be solved by placing PC on a LAN port of the tp-link. Why do you need PC on the back of the Huawei? U tried to explain this but I still don't understand. U can't force a network to work the way you want, it does what it does.

The way you have it, Huawei has its own private LAN subnet, and your tp-link (configured as router and not access point) creates a second subnet. Home networks, for the most part, can't deal with more than subnets. Most importantly, as already mention on my original post, many routers won't let you access their management page through their WAN ports. Consult manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: digitalgriffin

Dragovichz

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
OK you placing PC on right side of modem made me think you wanted Internet access to your equipment but you are really not.

OK this can simply be solved by placing PC on a LAN port of the tp-link. Why do you need PC on the back of the Huawei?

The way you have it, Huawei has its own private LAN subnet, and your tp-link (configured as router and not access point) creates a second subnet. Home networks, for the most part, can't deal with more than subnets.
Ok, how about this. Can I use the LAN port of my Router as a WAN. There is no settings in the management UI of the router that can change it to WAN, im just saying like Plug it and then assume it works as WAN. Does is go like that? or is it possible like that?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, you could connect your TP link to the Huawei through on of the TP-link's LAN ports. But could you explain again why you can't connect your PC to one of the TP-link's LAN ports? Normally if you have a modem/router (the Huawei) and your own router that you want to use, you'd put the modem/router into bridge mode (basically turning off the router part) and then connect everything to the dedicated router (the TP link in your case).

To be honest, I don't even understand the point of the TP-link in your setup, unless it's located far from the Huawei and providing wireless access to a different part of your house (in which case it should be configured as an access point as said above). The Huawei seems to have the same WLAN capabilities as the TP link and superior LAN (Gigabit rather than 100 Megabit ethernet).

I change its operation mode to an Access Point, but one of the feature I need BANDWIDTH CONTROL is no longer available when in this mode. The reason I put a router is to control the speed of the WiFi users.

Bandwidth control on consumer routers is mostly garbage, especially when you are dealing with fat (Fiber) conmnections. What you need is a better Wifi with 3x3 or 4x4 and 1 gig ethernet ports. You can do this with a relative minimal investment.

Dragovichz

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014
Yes, you could connect your TP link to the Huawei through on of the TP-link's LAN ports. But could you explain again why you can't connect your PC to one of the TP-link's LAN ports? Normally if you have a modem/router (the Huawei) and your own router that you want to use, you'd put the modem/router into bridge mode (basically turning off the router part) and then connect everything to the dedicated router (the TP link in your case).

To be honest, I don't even understand the point of the TP-link in your setup, unless it's located far from the Huawei and providing wireless access to a different part of your house (in which case it should be configured as an access point as said above). The Huawei seems to have the same WLAN capabilities as the TP link and superior LAN (Gigabit rather than 100 Megabit Ethernet).
OK, I explain this. I setup a different modem and router connection in my home for some purposes/reasons.

1. I ONLY want to make my MODEM USABLE by ONLY ME, full speed no bandwidth controls and pure fiber connection and no any other extras configuration for my connection to the internet in my devices - 2 PC's (Laptop and a Desktop Computer), 2 Android Phones.

2. I put a ROUTER so all the people in my HOUSE connect there through WiFi (WLAN) with some controls; like BANDWIDTH CONTROLS, WIRELESS IP FILTER and MORE.

3. My ROUTER was positioned far away from me like 4 METERS from the modem so I can further extend the signal reception of our WiFi. Also, this is why I connect my router to the modem because I only have 1 LONG UTP Cable for this setup. I don't want to use a switch. Furthermore, my MOTHERBOARD only have 1 LAN PORT and it already been used with a SHORT UTP Cable for LAN to LAN connection for PC to MODEM.

In short, I want the Modem to be used by ME and the other people that uses my internet connect thru the Router with limits.

In short, I want the Modem to be used by ME and the other people that uses my internet connect thru the Router with limits.
Unorthodox but not going to judge.

Add another NIC port to your box, use a static IP here with NO GATEWAY, and plug this in to the back of the tp-link, this way you gain access to the management port of the tp-link while retaining your direct access to modem.

Dragovichz

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

Add another NIC port to your box, use a static IP here with NO GATEWAY, and plug this in to the back of the tp-link, this way you gain access to the management port of the tp-link while retaining your direct access to modem.
OK, so you're telling me that there is no way to access my router thru the modem?

Except putting a new Network Interface Card on my PC.

If that;s going to be the case, can you recommend a NIC? low cost, simple setup.

Thank you so much.

Dragovichz

Reputable
Sep 13, 2014

By the way, what do you mean box? my PC or the ROUTER?

I can get it that NIC cards are for PCI slots of the motherboard of a PC.
But for clarifications only.

Im missing something here. But his huawei is acting as tye dhcp host. All the devices connected to it should be on the same subnet. He said his ap is on 192.168.100.17. If he plugs his "ap" (tp-link) lan port to the huawei router he should be able to directly access the page.

But in all honesty the tp link should be configured as an acess Point and set up with a static ip based on mac. Otherwise you are asking for trouble like what is being experienced now.

I have a similar setup in my home now with two routers acting as AP's and connected via the WAN port. But i had to go in and configure them as such and assign them static ips based on mac. I assigned them with a dedicated router/gateway/firewall setup. In this users case his will be the huawei.

HOWEVER he will not achieve his desire to have full bandwidth on his home computer. Hes still sharing network bandwidth with the access point. And even if the huawei is offering QOS and he gets highest priority chances are his throughout has dropped. The only solution to said problems is a high grade managed switch or router. And im talking commercial grade stuff or roll your own using quality gig nics and Core /ryzen processors. The configuration of which depends on his bandwidth and number of clients.

Last edited:
OK, so you're telling me that there is no way to access my router thru the modem?
Already touched this at least twice. U must consult the tp-link manual, I am not going to do this for you, we don't get paid around here.

If that;s going to be the case, can you recommend a NIC? low cost, simple setup.
If price differential not much, get an Intel NIC, but this is not critical application, u can go with anything.

But in all honesty the tp link should be configured as an acess Point and set up with a static ip based on mac.
That ship has sailed. The man wants his bandwidth management.

Otherwise you are asking for trouble like what is being experienced now.
I learned once someone got an idea in his head, near impossible to talk him out of it. Nothing is gonna blow up, gets what he wants.

That ship has sailed. The man wants his bandwidth management.

I learned once someone got an idea in his head, near impossible to talk him out of it. Nothing is gonna blow up, gets what he wants.

Youre not getting it either. His qos only conyrols yraffic on his tp link. Thats his kids traffic. But if they ate each doing hi def netflix or steam downloads, even if they are low priority and that router handles 1 gigabit then they are going to see 1 gigabit across the wan port. Thats directly competing with his computer. He needs a solution that is upstream of them both so they get prioritized. And because he has a likely gigabit connection a consumer router isnt going to handle prioritization fast enough. Trust me i see post all over the linksys, asus. And netgear forums about how total throughput drops with qos on for fat connections.

The only solution is a high grade managed switch or commercial router or to roll his own.

My wife had a similar issue because she leads group conferences of 50 or more people. Her connection is critical and i was dealing with 15 down 5 up. I could use my netgear nighthawk QOS, but i built a pfsense machine to handle it. Its so much more powerful even on a gimini lake celeron 4105. If he has gigabit i would move him up to a six core ryzen or i5 depending on his number of clients.