How to add CD-ROM to L400 laptop?

I have a second-hand Latitude L400 laptop. It has no floppy or CD-ROM drive,
and no manual.

I want to add a CD-ROM drive. What kit do I need please?

Looking on the (UK) Dell site, I can buy a "(Removable) 24X CD-ROM Drive
(Kit)" for UKP57 ($90). But there is no more info on this than that line of
text. Is that all I need? I am suspicious because other retailers talk about
a media cable, or something, which seems to be another UKP50 ($80).

BTW, I don't want a USB CD-ROM drive, as I need to be able to boot from
this - the OS has gone AWOL.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!!

Dave

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Dave, you need a cable (see that socket next to the parallel port on the
back?) and a Latitude C-Series CD.
I'd look on Ebay myself - hopfully someone'll have a picture.

GL

Dan

"DanR" <dan@dan.com> wrote in message
> "Dave Marsh" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > I have a second-hand Latitude L400 laptop. It has no floppy or CD-ROM
> drive,
> > and no manual.
> > I want to add a CD-ROM drive. What kit do I need please?
<snip>
> Dave, you need a cable (see that socket next to the parallel port on the
> back?) and a Latitude C-Series CD.
> I'd look on Ebay myself - hopfully someone'll have a picture.
>
> GL
>
> Dan

Many thanks Dan for that info. I've done a little more research now and I
understand the laptop would have originally have been supplied with an
external media bay. The Dell CD-ROM module would have plugged into this.

The cable you are talking about does not need a media bay? I'm guessing the
bay is just to make the module look tidy. There's a cable here on EBay:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?W30225048

Would that be suitable even without the media bay?

Many thanks.

Dave

Case just makes it look pretty.

Tom
> "DanR" <dan@dan.com> wrote in message
> > "Dave Marsh" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > I have a second-hand Latitude L400 laptop. It has no floppy or CD-ROM
> > drive,
> > > and no manual.
> > > I want to add a CD-ROM drive. What kit do I need please?
> <snip>
> > Dave, you need a cable (see that socket next to the parallel port on the
> > back?) and a Latitude C-Series CD.
> > I'd look on Ebay myself - hopfully someone'll have a picture.
> >
> > GL
> >
> > Dan
>
> Many thanks Dan for that info. I've done a little more research now and I
> understand the laptop would have originally have been supplied with an
> external media bay. The Dell CD-ROM module would have plugged into this.
>
> The cable you are talking about does not need a media bay? I'm guessing
the
> bay is just to make the module look tidy. There's a cable here on EBay:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?W30225048
>
> Would that be suitable even without the media bay?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Dave

Sorry, that link to EBay should be this:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Z1F322048

The other link was for an external floppy drive instead.

Dave

"Dave Marsh" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "DanR" <dan@dan.com> wrote in message
> > "Dave Marsh" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > I have a second-hand Latitude L400 laptop. It has no floppy or CD-ROM
> > drive,
> > > and no manual.
> > > I want to add a CD-ROM drive. What kit do I need please?
> <snip>
> > Dave, you need a cable (see that socket next to the parallel port on the
> > back?) and a Latitude C-Series CD.
> > I'd look on Ebay myself - hopfully someone'll have a picture.
> >
> > GL
> >
> > Dan
>
> Many thanks Dan for that info. I've done a little more research now and I
> understand the laptop would have originally have been supplied with an
> external media bay. The Dell CD-ROM module would have plugged into this.
>
> The cable you are talking about does not need a media bay? I'm guessing
the
> bay is just to make the module look tidy. There's a cable here on EBay:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?W30225048
>
> Would that be suitable even without the media bay?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Dave

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

wrong one dave - thats just for a floppy drive...

this is the one (hope the link works..)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3713&item=347993527
7&rd=1

Dan

> Case just makes it look pretty.
>
> Tom
> "Dave Marsh" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > "DanR" <dan@dan.com> wrote in message
> > > "Dave Marsh" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
CD-ROM
> > > drive,
> > <snip>
> > > Dave, you need a cable (see that socket next to the parallel port on
the
> > > back?) and a Latitude C-Series CD.
> > > I'd look on Ebay myself - hopfully someone'll have a picture.
> > >
> > > GL
> > >
> > > Dan
> >
> > Many thanks Dan for that info. I've done a little more research now and
> > understand the laptop would have originally have been supplied with an
> > external media bay. The Dell CD-ROM module would have plugged into this.
> >
> > The cable you are talking about does not need a media bay? I'm guessing
> the
> > bay is just to make the module look tidy. There's a cable here on EBay:
> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?W30225048
> >
> > Would that be suitable even without the media bay?
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Dave

Thanks Dan!

> wrong one dave - thats just for a floppy drive...
>
> this is the one (hope the link works..)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3713&item=347993527
> 7&rd=1
>
> Dan

> > Case just makes it look pretty.
> >
> > Tom
> > "Dave Marsh" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > "DanR" <dan@dan.com> wrote in message
> CD-ROM
> > > <snip>
> the

> > > Many thanks Dan for that info. I've done a little more research now
and
> > > understand the laptop would have originally have been supplied with an
> > > external media bay. The Dell CD-ROM module would have plugged into
this.

> > > The cable you are talking about does not need a media bay? I'm
guessing
> > the
> > > bay is just to make the module look tidy. There's a cable here on
EBay:
> > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?W30225048
> > >
> > > Would that be suitable even without the media bay?
> > >
> > > Many thanks.
> > >
> > > Dave

Thanks for the info Tom. I think I understand it all now!

Dave