[SOLVED] How to add specific URL to a Windows 10 firewall ?

Jul 4, 2021
Hello all :)
I have to add firewall exceptions , but I'm failing miserably on that task.
I'm using Redshift3d with Cinema 4D, not that this matters.
In their documentation it says:

Please configure your firewall and/or proxy to allow communications to:
activate.redshift3d.com, port 80 and port 443

Where can i add this URL in windows firewall ? I've been trying to do this for the past 4 days and I'm losing my mind...
All i could do is adding those ports, but I'm sure I did it wrong way.
I have second PC, with same soft installed, same windows and everything works like a charm. Everything is fully licenced. RS licence was renewed 3 days ago - and i can't use that bloody thing...

And my apologise for bringing this here, but I've already tried on their forum and tech support, and still no answer.

Thanks.

Solution
Adding URLs to the exception list when the ports are already open means, everything is available EXCEPT these URLs.
If the ports were closed (meaning you couldn't surf the web), then adding these as exceptions would mean you could ONLY surf to those web sites.

Windows Security --> Firewall and Network Protection --> Advanced Settings.

Look at your Inbound Rules and Outbound Rules for both Redshift3d and Cinema 4D. If you're not finding those programs in the list, try adding a New Rule.
In the left-hand pane, click Inbound Rules.
In the right-hand pane under Actions, click New Rule.
Make sure that Program is selected and click Next.
Enter the path to the .EXE file for your program and click Next.
Make sure that Allow the Connection is...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Adding URLs to the exception list when the ports are already open means, everything is available EXCEPT these URLs.
If the ports were closed (meaning you couldn't surf the web), then adding these as exceptions would mean you could ONLY surf to those web sites.

Windows Security --> Firewall and Network Protection --> Advanced Settings.

Look at your Inbound Rules and Outbound Rules for both Redshift3d and Cinema 4D. If you're not finding those programs in the list, try adding a New Rule.
In the left-hand pane, click Inbound Rules.
In the right-hand pane under Actions, click New Rule.
Make sure that Program is selected and click Next.
Enter the path to the .EXE file for your program and click Next.
Make sure that Allow the Connection is selected and click Next.
Make sure that all three check boxes are selected (Domain, Private, Public) and click Next.
Give the Rule a new name and click Finish.

Repeat for your other programs.

Again, this should NOT be necessary and these ports are open by default. So unless YOU changed something, either your software is bogus (i.e. actually a virus trying to get access to your system) or your Windows system needs to be wiped and reinstalled.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Hyyde88
Solution
It is actually extremely hard to block a web site. By default all URL are open and port 80 and 443 are allowed.

Blocking a URL is almost impossible. All data communication is encrypted so you do not see the actual URL anymore. When you use browsers like chrome even the DNS lookups are encrypted in many cases.

I would remove the rules and let windows firewall run in its default settings.

Your best first test to prove its not the firewall is to use the option to temporarily disable the firewall.

Jul 4, 2021
So... Thank you both for answers. And here is why none of this works :D
Redshift is just a plugin working inside Cinema 4d. I can#t add it to firewall exceptions, cause it doesn't have any .exe files.
Its using Licence manager to sort out the licence. Your messages gave me idea to try and add this manager as well, but that didnt work.

Other than that I did try disabling Firewall completely, but then Cinema 4d doesn't start. I had issue with it few weeks before when i installed it for first time on this PC ( also fresh installation of windows 10, brand new hard drive, on a brand new PC ). C4D didn't start, I've then contacted tech support, they suggested to add outbound rule blocking C4d. That helped, but I'm guessing it screwing up other stuff ?
So I'm in pickle here, don't know what else can i do.

Im pretty sure there is a file somewhere on C:\Windows\... named HOST.something. It should have some addresses, maybe URL, maybe IPs. And maybe that's where I'm supposed to add that redshift URL ? Why would they suggested to add this in their documentantion if there is no place to add it ?
F0sfz98.jpg

Sounds like that company is up to some tricky crap if you can't disable the firewall.

You really should not mess with things you do not understand. The HOST file is purely used to over ride DNS. All it does is map a domain name to a IP address.

Most malware/virus detection stuff will complain if this file is not blank,

It is not used to permit traffic it is used in very rare cases where you can not use the IP address returned by the DNS server.

Jul 4, 2021
its a legit company, both Cinema 4d and Redshift are working on my other PC, so there is something wrong with this PC/firewall.
Cinema 4d tech support said last time, that after recent Windows 10 update firewall is not adding that one Outbound rule, so they suggested to add it to make it work. Tomorrow ill see my other PC firewall settings to see whats different in there.
I've managed to dig out that HOST file, and it is empty. Nothing is added in there.

The problem is by default ALL traffic is allowed outbound. You should never need to add a rule since everything is allowed. You would put rules in to block traffic not allow it. Now I guess you could have changed that setting but it would then break everything and you would have to add every single web site 1 by 1.

Jul 4, 2021
The problem is by default ALL traffic is allowed outbound. You should never need to add a rule since everything is allowed. You would put rules in to block traffic not allow it. Now I guess you could have changed that setting but it would then break everything and you would have to add every single web site 1 by 1.
I see, make sense. So now I have to figure out what's wrong with my Windows then. Maybe I'll reinstall once more. But I'd prefer not to.
I sent another tech support question, I'll see what they will advice this time. Thank you anyway for explaining it. I'm not good with network issues and I always struggle to solve any problem. I'll keep trying random stuff.

Jul 4, 2021
Different aproach : which part of a pc could block access to a specific software ? is that even possible ? could motherboard ethernet controller or maybe processor block software from opening and the only way to get it to work is adding firewall rule ? Im thinking about contacting manufacturer to see if they could advice anything. That's the only thing different from my old PC.
I'm sitting here with remote access to old pc, checking every firewall exception and rules, to see if there is anything unusual.