[SOLVED] How to alternate between two isolated boot drives?

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
Hi,

I'm trying to create a dual-boot system where the two boot drives are effectively isolated from each other, with the system able to "see" only the drive it booted from at the time. One simple way to do it is to just have two separate USB boot drives, and plug in the one desired during the boot process -- but this would be much slower than a NVME or even a SATA SSD. Is there a way I can do this with NVME and/or SATA? Some sort of hardware switch perhaps? Do some motherboards support this type of functionality? Ideally I'd like the two drives to be electrically isolated, so that the drive not in use can't even be affected by a power surge/lightning strike, but simple full logical isolation would be an acceptable solution also. Thanks for anyone who might be able to point me in the right direction.

Lutfij

Titan
If the boot drives were on SATA drives and you're not dealing with Windows 10, you can disable/enable the port equipped with the SATA SSD with the corresponding OS. Outside of that, I don't think what you're intending to do is practical. Might want to share what OSes you're looking to work with, perhaps the solution/suggestion is easier than I think it is.

Specs to your system?

popatim

Titan
4 drive bay for sata. I don't think it's possible to do as you wish with nvme drives. Eject the drives you don't want to boot from.
Disable fast boot in the bios and OS else there is a real possibility to corrupt the other attached drives.