How to avoid ESD damage without a bracelet?

Solution

Having your PSU plugged in (but switched off) and mounted in the case is what allows you to ground yourself by touching the case. Otherwise, touching the case doesn't actually ground you.

+1 to what has been said above, just touch something metal that's grounded. For me I typically touched one of the PSU mounting screws on the back of the case (with the PSU plugged in but switched off, as I mentioned). I've also found a variety of other objects near my desk that are grounded, such as the screws that hold in my light switch cover, a lamp with a metal base, etc.

Lutfij

Titan
Just touch a faucet before building. In fact if you're building the system on the kitchen counter top, you can touch a grounded metal object(like plumbing) at intervals to rid yourself of any ESD.

Noticed colleagues post...yeap, same here, never used an ESD bracelet but then again I don't have carpet just plain tiled floors so I'm grounded at all times :D

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

Having your PSU plugged in (but switched off) and mounted in the case is what allows you to ground yourself by touching the case. Otherwise, touching the case doesn't actually ground you.

+1 to what has been said above, just touch something metal that's grounded. For me I typically touched one of the PSU mounting screws on the back of the case (with the PSU plugged in but switched off, as I mentioned). I've also found a variety of other objects near my desk that are grounded, such as the screws that hold in my light switch cover, a lamp with a metal base, etc.

Solution

racksmith101

Respectable
Unless you have a nylon or polyester carpet and wear plastic shoes or nylon/polyester socks you won't need an esd strap. It's not really required when handling circuit boards, there is usually enough copper in the ground plane of pcb's to absorb any small build up of static. It's different if you're handling electronic components when building a PCB. In 30 years in the electronics industry i have only ever seen static damage to some hyper sensitive LCDs.

this