Question How to benchmark my 12GB MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cris_cs7

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Hi all,
I bought and installed a new graphic card12GB MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ventus 2X ?

I used Unigine 4 Benchmark and scored less that some older cards like gtx 1050.
The temperature was around 78 degree celsius.
Here are results:
https://ibb.co/vXPS3BV

My questions
1. How to do a proper benchmark for my gpu and what free tool to use to see a graph of temperature across time ?
Unigine showed temperature oonly at current time but now how it developed.
2. Is idle time of 53-55 degree celsius fine for this card ? And 78-80 degree on a 4 minutes unigine benchmark?

Thank you!

cris_cs7

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
try better cable management, may not help much as your intake is underpowered, but it will make less obstacles for air to move around

Thanks I will try that first, but feel free to suggest also other solutions that require purchasing additional fans I am open to that.

I read somewhere that a good airflow design can make a closed case perform way better then open case and that makes sense to me because we can expel heat outside.

I just don't have enough experience to design such airflow yet so am very grateful for any help.

My goal is to have a long life for the components inside and avoid burning them lol.

The gpu is reaching 77-80 celsius degree right now within 5 minutes of running a benchmark.... and I just received it today.
In real world usage I will use that for 2-3 hours of gaming or video editing rendering so way more then 5 minutes. (although in gaming gpu is not used 100% all the time but there are moments where is used above 95% for even 30 40 minutes)

Yes I do, it is Master MasterBox E500L
If you have PSU with fan facing up, then you absolutely have to remove this metal PSU cover.
It is suffocating PSU and increasing temperature. Will lead to premature PSU failure.

Normally PSU is installed with fan facing down and air is drawn in from underside of pc case.

For additional fans -
you should have 2x 140mm frontal intake fans there.
If you have 120mm fan installed there, then replace it with 2x 140mm.

cris_cs7

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
If you have PSU with fan facing up, then you absolutely have to remove this metal PSU cover.
It is suffocating PSU and increasing temperature. Will lead to premature PSU failure.

Normally PSU is installed with fan facing down and air is drawn in from underside of pc case.

For additional fans -
you should have 2x 140mm frontal intake fans there.
If you have 120mm fan installed there, then replace it with 2x 140mm.
Thanks, I will buy more fans first.

About the psu fan being up, what about this article

section Power supply with fan in a bottom mount case
That is how my psu looks like exactly, the fan is on top (and in article they mention is fine but they have no metal on top of it!). On left side on the case outside psu has some openeing as well.
I was thinking that if the metal was on top the air from the fan would be forced to go left out through the case... (did not understand why the case had that metal. Was worried that warm air from psu might go to motherboard and gpu fans down and be a mess)

Also I don't know if the PSU fan is taking air in, or sending hot air out... (considering has a left side as well)

80C is okay....better airflow might take few celsius down, but it will be similar to what you get with case opened

i have msi 1070ti armor, stock (180watt power draw) it was hittings 80+C during gaming not overclocked, fan profiles were at 50%, changing fan profiles to 100% helped to get temperature to 70C but it sounded like jet engine
so i went with 240mm aio (watercooling), gpu draws now up to 230watts and wont go above 60C
tho in superposition it does draws just 200watts (voltage limits)

here for comparison
eNIrVMA.png

now you may wonder about mine score..well rtx aint that great in dx11 compared to older gpus, but in dx12 its another story, performance on rtx is like double to what you get on similary speced gpu from 10xx serie

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM

cris_cs7

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
With PSU cover installed - this is the only way for PSU positioning (fan facing down).

bottom-normal-grill.png

If PSU cover is removed, then you can leave it as it is (fan facing up).

bottom-normal-nogrill.png
I removed the psu cover and changed fan position to bottom now. Will re-run benchmark

before (fan up + ugly divider that have no idea of its purpose):
https://ibb.co/GRWPB3t
https://ibb.co/wcvhsSg

after (fan facing bottom + removed totally the separator/divider):
https://ibb.co/rM83z70

One question: What is thhe purpose of that divider ??? As a newbie I left it there assuming that the case engineers/designers/company whatever has a reason to provide that.
Maybe is just for cable management and I gave it more importance than needed by assuming it protects motherboard or psu from overheating other components

cris_cs7

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
to hide cables
Thanks, good to know. Then I removed that ugly metal and put psu fan facing down.
Thanks a lot, you might have saved my psu from getting fried in long term...
Indeed was <Mod Edit> crazy pushing air outside straighht to that metal, while I was thinking that was being redirected on the left opening. That is the only reason I left it like that.

Runned benchmark again max gpu temp is still the same with the new setup
https://ibb.co/rM83z70
but I think as you explained and makes sense to me psu is in a better place.
Will buy case coolers and try to reduce max gpu temp to around 72 intead of 78-80+

Last edited by a moderator:

cris_cs7

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
80C is okay....better airflow might take few celsius down, but it will be similar to what you get with case opened

i have msi 1070ti armor, stock (180watt power draw) it was hittings 80+C during gaming not overclocked, fan profiles were at 50%, changing fan profiles to 100% helped to get temperature to 70C but it sounded like jet engine
so i went with 240mm aio (watercooling), gpu draws now up to 230watts and wont go above 60C
tho in superposition it does draws just 200watts (voltage limits)

here for comparison
eNIrVMA.png

now you may wonder about mine score..well rtx aint that great in dx11 compared to older gpus, but in dx12 its another story, performance on rtx is like double to what you get on similary speced gpu from 10xx serie
In your image above max gpu temp from benchmark was 57 degree celsius, while for me 78...

cris_cs7

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Does your pc case have feet installed.
Those are necessary for providing air gap for PSU air intake.
In your photos can't really see any feet.

In coolermaster photos they are clearly visible.

img_6789-zoom.png
Hi yes the case legs are exactly as in the photo above. I haven't included them in the photo (by accident not on purpose)

The case lies on wood so from what I read should be fine. Only carpet was mentioned as dangerous