[SOLVED] How to boot from cloned Windows device?

mkmossop

Reputable
May 17, 2016
I cloned my windows drive to a new ssd using EaseUS clone tool. Seems to have worked as all the files and folders are the same.

I wanted to see if the clone was successful before installing it in my new pc, so I went to bios and booted from the new drive.

Use a device -> EFI USB device

Chose that, and then get the error "selected boot device failed".

Is it not possible to boot Windows from another device if it's already installed on my internal hard drive? Or is something else wrong?

Solution
I cloned my windows drive to a new ssd using EaseUS clone tool. Seems to have worked as all the files and folders are the same.

I wanted to see if the clone was successful before installing it in my new pc, so I went to bios and booted from the new drive.

Is it not possible to boot Windows from another device if it's already installed on my internal hard drive? Or is something else wrong?
If you are trying to boot Windows from a USB, it won't happen.

After the clone process has completed, you should have powered off, removed the old drive, insert the new
drive into your PC and power on.

If you are trying to boot Windows from a USB, it won't happen.

After the clone process has completed, you should have powered off, removed the old drive, insert the new
drive into your PC and power on.

Solution

mkmossop

Reputable
May 17, 2016
I have another question I hope you (or someone else) can help me with.

After cloning windows onto the new ssd, it says its capacity is only 230 GB, but the ssd is 4 TB big.

The ssd I cloned windows from was 250 GB, which I assume is the problem. When I install the ssd in my new pc will this be fixed? Do I need to format the new ssd again or transfer windows in some other way? I don't wanna lose 3.5 TB!! lol

USAFRet

Titan
The ssd I cloned windows from was 250 GB, which I assume is the problem. When I install the ssd in my new pc will this be fixed? Do I need to format the new ssd again or transfer windows in some other way? I don't wanna lose 3.5 TB!! lol

Just to verify...

You cloned the OS drive from System A, and you're eventually going to put it in System B?
You realize this has a high likelihood of not working, right?

Please give us some detail on exactly what your overall goal is here.

mkmossop

Reputable
May 17, 2016
No I don't... or I wouldn't have done it.

I somehow managed to do this for my last pc but I don't remember how.

To be clear my goal is to copy Windows from my current SSD to a new SSD.

My current SSD is inside my pc of course, and the new SSD I currently have in a hard drive enclosure plugged in to my pc via USB. Once I copy Windows onto the new SSD I want to physically install it in a new pc.

I want to clone Windows because I want to keep all my settings, files, programs, etc. that I have now.

USAFRet

Titan
No I don't... or I wouldn't have done it.

I somehow managed to do this for my last pc but I don't remember how.

To be clear my goal is to copy Windows from my current SSD to a new SSD.

My current SSD is inside my pc of course, and the new SSD I currently have in a hard drive enclosure plugged in to my pc via USB. Once I copy Windows onto the new SSD I want to physically install it in a new pc.

I want to clone Windows because I want to keep all my settings, files, programs, etc. that I have now.
Moving a drive, or a clone of a drive, into new hardware has 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months

#2 & 3 are the likely outcomes.
A Windows installation is not as modular as we'd all like it to be.