How to boot from SSD?

XerobX

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
I have a M32CD Asus motherboard and when i go into my bios i see that i have the SSD installed but there is only one priority boot option in the BOOT tab and it only shows the HDD. I want to boot from.SSD but used HDD as main storage.

From what you're saying it appears you've installed an SSD but your system is installed on an HDD. Probably easiest way to get your system to the SSD is to clone it from the HDD. But to do that you'll have to get all data off the SSD and then shrink the system partition of the HDD to be smaller than the capacity of the SSD. Depending on the size of the HDD and how much stuff you have you may have to move data off to temporary storage to do it. Removing Steam games can be a great way since they can be HUGE and are DL'd from your account when you want.

A partition manager like MiniTool can do all the necessary work (cloning, resizing partitions, etc.). It's free and you can get it at:

http://www.PartitionWizard.com

If you bought it in retail packaging the mfr. of your SSD may have also included a link to DL another cloning tool that might also work for you.

The alternative is you'l have to reinstall your OS on the SSD. When doing that it's best to remove the HDD (that has a system on it) so the BIOS doesn't get confused. Once you've got it installed you can put the HDD back in move data off it then re-partition and format it to be a data drive and get the system off it so the BIOS will never be confused. You'll have to also reinstall all apps and games.

It sounds easier than the cloning but if you've created and formatted a partition on it you may have initialized it incorrectly for Windows Install to put an EFI partition in place and give you UEFI mode operation. There are ways to fix it, using a geeky and potentially dangerous command line utility called DiskPart. But if you've done nothing to the SSD, and you've very few apps to re-install, that may actually be the better choice since you'll get a fresh Windows10 install in the process.

USAFRet

Titan

1. What size is the new SSD?
2. How much total space is consumed on the current HDD?
3. What OS is this?
4. Please post a screencap of your current Disk Management window.