How to boot old OS HHD in current desktop

Mcsantna

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
I have my current desktop, which I boot win7 from a samsung SSD.

However, I have my old laptop harddrive, also has win7 on it, but a different list of programs on it that I don't want to install on this new one.

I have the idea to plug my old HHD into my desktop, along side my current SSD. and from the BIOS select the older HHD to boot from and use the HHD OS.

However everytime it starts to load, as its doing the windows splash, about 5 seconds in a blue screen flashes and my pc turns off a split second later. Then it automatically reboots using the default SSD OS.

Notes: I can see the drive while using the original SSD OS, and the files on it.
When in my BIOS, it doesnt list the old HHD in the boot list, I have to go further into the settings and basically click a "one time boot from __ drive" in which it does show the drive.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this?

Solution

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

The pc will never boot from the old hdd because it's set-up to work with the laptop chipset and drivers, tries loading these when booting on the new pc and craps itself. This is normal. Set up the old drive as a slave/secondary as you have and format and reinstall all the programs on it and not the ssd. this will wipe the drive so if you wanted to pop it in the laptop again it won't boot windows. Either just buy another drive instead if this is not an option or install these programs onto the ssd

Solution

Mcsantna

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015

Thanks for the reply and answer. Is there anyway to just copy the drivers from the SSD to the HDD?

If this doesn't work, ill figure the programs out but I'll just end up wiping the HDD and using it as extra storage for the desktop. Nothing special to set that up right?

Mark_1970

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

No just hook it up as you did before when you could view files on it, save anything wanted and format.
Unless you know registery modding etc

Mcsantna

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015

Alright thank you. I guess im gonna copy my data off it, then wipe it and use it has a extra drive in my desktop to save SSD space. Thanks for your help.