how to bridge two Ethernet ports in WS2016?

Jul 9, 2018
In windows 10 to have two Ethernet ports on the same private subnet with internet, happens by bridging the 2 ports. How can this happen in Windows server 2016 CORE?

Solution
What are you trying to do? Are you trying to pass the internet out of your computer to a switch or another computer?
If you google how to create a virtual bridge in windows you should be able to find it.
Jul 9, 2018
failboat I hope this is more clear. Alabalcho is your solution for this valid?
:
I am convinced by a thread that a media player ( be it a PC or for instance Sonore UtraRendu) connected to its (PC) server directly sounds much better ( more transparent) than indirectly because player and server are connected to the same router or switch. but not directly to each other. The router or switch is also the source for internet and this way all are on the same private net work sharing the same sub net.

A direct connection between the player and the server is to have one Ethernet port on the server connected to the one of the player.
In order to remotely see the library of the server and the player in an android software player (mobile phone), all of them must be in the same sub.net.of the private network. The router on this private network gives access to internet and takes care of the wireless part connected to mobile phone. The server connects one port to the player and one port to the private network for internet and to see other computers in the house.

The private network is in my case a 192.168.xx...
Windows 10 refuses to accept the two ports of the computer to be in the same private network and keeps them separate or malfunctioning when manually forced ( canceling DHCP) unless the two ports are bridged. Bridging in Windows 10 is extremely easy and part of right clicking the 2 or more Ethernet connections

The ultraRendu (player) and server (PC) and mobile phone (WiFi) should all be on the same sub net with internet to play Tidal with this setup

How to complete this feat in windows server 2016 (CORE)? It does not seem to be easy for windows server? Or is bridging in WS2016 not necessary

Jul 9, 2018
hi failboat. I agree yr solution is THE mainstream solution and perfectly functioning for all networking and server related contexts WS 2016 is designed for except ONE: high end audio.
I have a highly transparent tuned stereo system consisting of tube amps, and digital preamps ( DEQX) It took my decades to build it up and of course to listen. In w10 pro I clearly can hear how snappier and transparent it is if you leave the switch out of the signal loop see https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/
Ws2016 CORE sounds very much more musical and transparent in such systems than W10.

So I stand with my original question: how to have in WS2016 two or more hardware Ethernet ports in the same computer to be in the same private sub net being also the one of the router providing internet?

You are just imagining any improvement. The data connectivity is EXACTLY the same when you bridge 2 ports together or if you hook it to a switch. Just because it is done by a device called a "computer" rather than a "switch" it is done the same way.

It likely does not matter because you will believe what you want and reject anything that conflicts with your view point.

Bottom line if the feature does not exist in the nic setting it does not exist on your device.

If you really want that feature go out and buy a device that makes you feel good.

media streams using tcp. so it's going to self correct. a slightly less quality line would have zero impact. the quality of the file on the server is the only impact the server has.

Jul 9, 2018
I was afraid respectfully to you guys would say something like that In the end it is all about zero's and one's no ;)
But Even bit-perfect have different sound signatures.
Thx anyway
:)

A TCP stream is no different then playing it local.
Line quality will only impact it if it buffers, which shouldn't happen over LAN.

If you stream the file to another device it doesn't matter what is on your win pc.
The audio card isn't even getting used. It's a file transfer.