How to bring back a Samsung 960 EVO SSD from the dead?

chriscrows

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
I bought the Samsung 960 EVO in January and every now and then it would disappear from Windows, after a restart it would appear. Sometimes after fresh Windows install, when trying to use Samsung's drivers, I would get a BSOD saying DPC Watchdog Violation.

I thought it was my PC but I also tried the same thing in an Intel NUC with the same DPC Watchdog error.

Anyway, on Monday when I tried to access the drive it was gone again. I am not using it to boot Windows from it, only as storage and I have my projects there.

This time it doesn't want to come back and ever since when I shut down my computer and turn it back on it looks like it freezes at the first boot screen. If I press the restart button it restarts and goes in Windows with no problems but the SSD is not there.

I read about the normal SSD where you remove the data cable and let it sit there so I decided to turn of my PC and turn it back on and just let it sit(because it doesn't have a data cable). I press the DEL button to go to BIOS and let it sit. After 15-20minutes it goes into BIOS and hurray I see my SSD right there but again if I would reset the PC and go in Windows it is gone again. I tried to look for it in Disk Management but it's not there. Sometimes in Device Manager, appears Standard NVM Express Controller but with a yellow !.

I realized that my BIOS has an option to update it from the hard drives, so I thought maybe I can use that as a "file explorer" to make sure the 960 EVO still has the files on it. After the 20mins of waiting time, it appears in BIOS, I select Flash Utility and navigate to the storage and the 960 EVO does not appear in the list.

Tried to remove all the other hard drives from the PC, also all the non critical peripherals, same story. I also ordered a PCIe adapter for it, I thought maybe I could somehow get it to work like that but it shows the same symptoms.

What do you guys think? Is this a firmware problem? Hardware? Samsung told me to send it back and they will either fix it or give me a new one but I kinda want to save some files from it.

I tried to talk with some data recovery guys and pretty much all of them say it will cost from 800-1600 Euros because it's new technology.....I have some important stuff there but I don't have 1000 Euros lying around the house :). I just want to get it to appear one more time so I can save some data, I forgot to backup

My system specs are:
i7 - 6700k
Asus Z170 Pro
32GB Ram Corsair,
Nvidia 1070 GTX
Samsung 840 256GB, 850 256GB, WD 4TB

Thanks and sorry for the wall of text.

Solution

Get the brand new one from the return , so you don't have to worry about all the nonsense to get a single boot out of it.

chriscrows

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016

I want to do that but I would want to maybe someone has a solution to jump start it one more time, 5-10 minutes to copy some files from it :)

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

Get the brand new one from the return , so you don't have to worry about all the nonsense to get a single boot out of it.

Solution