How to Build a Cheap 128 Core Server for a Chess Super Computer.

charlitosway

Distinguished
May 13, 2016
Hi.

I am trying to solve/write chess books and I am trying to build a special super computer/server to put positions to the software. The software runs chess engines with up to 128 cores.

I wanted to know if you guys could recommend a place I could find/build a server cheaply for those amount of cores.

I found a place called savemyserver.com, I dont think it will be cheaper than that, but if you know where please suggest/mention.

Thanks!!

Matt C

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Either find cloud services, or if you have the budget build your own.. Ryzen Threadripper is likely less cost per core.. You'll need to likely have a host + compute nodes if you want 128 cores (could it be 64 cores with hyper-threading?)

What's your budget is really what it comes down to.

charlitosway

Distinguished
May 13, 2016
the problem with AWS is that its $10 per hour for 128 cores. at 100 hours that comes out to $1000.
I could get a 128 core server (factory refurbished) for less than $3000. So I was looking for places where I could buy this stuff.

Matt C

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

Be cautious as to what that $3,000 gets you. Does it include storage? How old is the architecture (does that matter? would it be more efficient with newer hardware and less cores, etc...)

kanewolf

Titan

This statement says that a cluster is acceptable. That is different than 128 cores in a host. You could use Raspberry PI 3s in cluster to get 128 cores. You need networking in addition to hosts with a cluster implementation