How to Build a PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dre_Belgium

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017
Very nice and complete article, but regarding statics I have a remark: as a designer and builder of electronics I strongly suggest to either work on a conductive (e.g. metal) surface and connect yourself to that metal surface, or better: to connect yourself to the main board ground. I specifically don't like the photo showing how the memory is plugged in. The mainboard lies well isolated and can have some static charge. You stand beside the table and will certainly have some static charge, certainly if you moved around in the room to pick the memory. So you must touch the mainboard ground/metal parts with a finger or your hands or wrist FIRST, and THEN insert the memory. This equalizes the charges. If you don't do that, the equalization will take place through the memory the moment it touches the mainboard, and might cause damage, depending on which pin touches first.

termathor

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2015
Very good tutorial. Spot on !

Can I suggest some more advice ?

Don't tighten the mobo too strongly to the case. People often tend to bolt it too strong while there really is no need.

Oct 23, 2018

yes, i assembled 2 years ago 15 machines with celeron 4th generation, now called pentiun i guess,, best beneffits.. ty

Oct 25, 2018
A guide on how to install the OS using UEFI rather than the legacy bios would be a great addition to this article.
Also explain why it is important to load the OS to UEFI rather than legacy bios.

Once your latches are opened, look at each DIMM and position it over the slot such that the small divot on the bottom of the RAM stick is aligned with the matching bump on the board. Finally, push down on the DIMM on each edge until it snaps into place, causing the latches to close on their own. The process requires a bit of force

On some motherboards this can require a LOT of force, so much in fact that I've seen numerous people cut their fingers very deeply from slipping during this.

Here is one neat trick when inserting RAM: do NOT fully open both latches on RAM slots, spread them just slightly, maybe 1-2mm. RAM stick will still go inside easily, and once inside, pushing it down now requires only a tiny bit of force. And it becomes virtually no force if you also keep pushing the RAM module down with 2 thumbs while simultaneously closing the latches with index fingers.

Just saying, might save some people from injuries :)

A nice guide BTW. Miles better than the recent infamous article by the Verge ;)