News How to Build a Raspberry Pi Pico Weather Station

Feb 1, 2021
If you wish to see this tutorial in MicroPython, please let us know

Yes please!! I have bought myself a Pico + SparkFun LCD, worked through the 'Getting Started with MP...' book [excellent!] but I am stumped trying to make sense of the SerLCD modules to control the screen beyond 'Hello WorldHello WorldHell...' etc.
Two days of Googling and I can't find a sensible (to me anyway) guide that doesn't depend on modules not found in MicroPython on the Pico, or built for Arduino boards.
<nice friendly smile>
Maybe an 'Intermediate Guide to MicroPython on the RP Pico'? Please.
</nice friendly smile>

Feb 2, 2021
Hello
Well my LCD turned up today, so I had fun putting it together.
I first tried with the precompiled weatherstation.uf2 and that didn't work - the screen showed a solid bar on the top row and blank below. Then compiled from source, and that worked fine.
So thanks very much for the tutorial!

Reactions: WillySprockel
Feb 11, 2021
Hello All,
I have put it together. And now designing a 3D print casing. many thanks for this nice tutorial.
But, I tried the precompiled weatherstation.uf2 with no positve result i.e. sensor reading stuck at 32 F and -inf% humidity. Maybe a defective sensor?
I have ordered a new DHT22-sensor to try, but otherwise I don't know the reason for this.
I am going to try compiling the source code, like Martin did. Maybe with positve result.

As I am a totall no no on C/C++ and a somewhat beginner on Python, would you please go for the MicroPython version. Thank you very much in advance.

Feb 13, 2021
Hello All,
I have put it together. And now designing a 3D print casing. many thanks for this nice tutorial.
But, I tried the precompiled weatherstation.uf2 with no positve result i.e. sensor reading stuck at 32 F and -inf% humidity. Maybe a defective sensor?
I have ordered a new DHT22-sensor to try, but otherwise I don't know the reason for this.
I am going to try compiling the source code, like Martin did. Maybe with positve result.

As I am a totall no no on C/C++ and a somewhat beginner on Python, would you please go for the MicroPython version. Thank you very much in advance.
I had the same problem and realized there was something up with the code. If you follow the compiling steps (meaning not the shortcut step in the tutorial) you have to change lines 139-140 in the code to remove the // at the beginning of the lines. That fixed it for me and now it's working perfectly. Hope that made sense and helped!

Feb 11, 2021
I had the same problem and realized there was something up with the code. If you follow the compiling steps (meaning not the shortcut step in the tutorial) you have to change lines 139-140 in the code to remove the // at the beginning of the lines. That fixed it for me and now it's working perfectly. Hope that made sense and helped!
Many thanks, flirtymango. I will try this.

Feb 28, 2021
Yeah but... if you get the parts and assemble them as in the article, you end up with a toy weather station AND A WORKING C/C++ ENVIRONMENT FOR THE RASPBERRY PI PICO. The weather station hardware simply shows that you've got things working correctly and, as you have mentioned, is available for less money if a weather station is what you want.

I am actually going to use this as a temperature and humidity control unit in a special purpose refrigerator (home built).

P.S. I had to install doxygen as that wasn't included in my raspberry pi install.

Mar 1, 2021
IMHO the Fritzing scheme is not right... pin38 is ground; pin 36 is 3.3V... ?
That said, I truly believe that a (Micro)Python version is much easier to build. I did so myself, and everything is working okay. DHT22, BMP180 and the build in RTC with simple clock-setting gives a better result on a 20x4 LCD display, per I2C.
Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021
IMHO the Fritzing scheme is not right... pin38 is ground; pin 36 is 3.3V... ?
That said, I truly believe that a (Micro)Python version is much easier to build. I did so myself, and everything is working okay. DHT22, BMP180 and the build in RTC with simple clock-setting gives a better result on a 20x4 LCD display, per I2C.
Cheers
Do you have the link to your instructions?