News How to Build a Raspberry Pi-Powered Digital Photo Frame

Dec 19, 2020
In this project, we’ll build a digital photo frame with our Raspberry Pi with photos updating dynamically from Google photos.

How to Build a Raspberry Pi-Powered Digital Photo Frame : Read more
This would undoubtedly be a good learning exercise. However with the 7 inch screen it uses costing £77 but a new 7 inch digital photo frame costing only £27 on ebay the main learning experience is that buying is often a better option than building.

torbjorn.lindgren

Commendable
Jan 13, 2019
This would undoubtedly be a good learning exercise. However with the 7 inch screen it uses costing £77 but a new 7 inch digital photo frame costing only £27 on ebay the main learning experience is that buying is often a better option than building.
Yeah, both of those have ABYSMAL resolution, specifically 800x480!
1990's called and wanted their crappy screens back! :)
The original author should be ashamed of suggesting building a photo frame with a 7"/800x480 display, I would consider that resolution a the very best marginal even for a 5" display.
But.. that just reinforces that from an economics point it makes very little sense given that you can get a 7" photoframe with 1920x1080 resolution (including shipping) for less than the 7"/800x480 display, never mind the other components!

Jan 16, 2021
In this project, we’ll build a digital photo frame with our Raspberry Pi with photos updating dynamically from Google photos.

How to Build a Raspberry Pi-Powered Digital Photo Frame : Read more
The instructions miss a pretty key item from the MMM-GooglePhotos docs under "Get token.js" on https://github.com/ChrisAcrobat/MMM-GooglePhotos#get-auth-and-albumid

Between your steps 3 and 4, you need to enable the Google Photos Library API, otherwise the OAuth creds won't allow access to those APIs and you end up with a 403 in your log (viewable by pm2 log).

Reactions: pontiac_bandit
Jan 23, 2021
Reactions: pontiac_bandit
May 17, 2021
Excellent project! I was able to finish this today, but unfortunately my screen is stuck on 'Loading...' after I do the npm run start. Is it because my internet might be slow? I hardly have 20 photos in my sample album. Any ideas?

Final Edit: I was able to use @kellyhirano 's advise and fix the issue. I now have an RPi powered digital photo frame :)

Edit2: This is the exact error I am getting
Stuck on Loading forever - githubmemory

Edit: Actually, I see the following error in my terminal

Failed to fetch git data for MMM-GooglePhotos: Error: block timeout reached

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY