[SOLVED] How to build a raspberry pi zero game boy

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
So, I wanted to build a rasp pi zero w powered retrogaming device (it will probably look like a Gameboy advance) but I am a little confused about a couple of things, the buttons and the battery bank how would I go about putting those things in place? (I will probably build the case out of wood) I just need help in general. But the controls are the things I need the most help with. I assume I need to get a pcb printed but I don't feel confident that I could design my own so does anyone have any good gameboy advance pcb designs?

Last edited:
Solution
No reason not to.

Especially if the end objective is to convert that Raspberry Pi Zero w into the desired "Gameboy".

Again the entire process will help you learn and playing retro games will give you some experience with how your/the Raspberry Pi Zero w performs.

You will know that the hardware is working and be familiar with the connections, configurations, etc..

So if there is a problem with the Gameboy then the possible culprits are reduced.

Ralston18

Titan
Start by building just a basic Raspberry Pi using a stock case etc..

Gain some experience (via reading and the proverbial learning curve) to get a sense of what all is involved and required.

Then use that experience and knowledge to move on to bigger projects with more requirements.

Work your way up to the Gameboy/wood box project.

Otherwise it may not be easy to determine the root cause of any problems that arise: hardware, software, configuration, installation error, etc. if you "go all out" to start with.

Good chance that you will learn a few things in the process that will affect how you eventually plan and build the Gameboy.

Wondering about a wood case and heat/cooling therein.

Reactions: 2plash6

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
Start by building just a basic Raspberry Pi using a stock case etc..

Gain some experience (via reading and the proverbial learning curve) to get a sense of what all is involved and required.

Then use that experience and knowledge to move on to bigger projects with more requirements.

Work your way up to the Gameboy/wood box project.

Otherwise it may not be easy to determine the root cause of any problems that arise: hardware, software, configuration, installation error, etc. if you "go all out" to start with.

Good chance that you will learn a few things in the process that will affect how you eventually plan and build the Gameboy.

Wondering about a wood case and heat/cooling therein.

Do you think in order to get familiar with raspberry pi I should buy a pi zero w and install retropie on it and just go through the process of installing and playing some retro games?

Ralston18

Titan
No reason not to.

Especially if the end objective is to convert that Raspberry Pi Zero w into the desired "Gameboy".

Again the entire process will help you learn and playing retro games will give you some experience with how your/the Raspberry Pi Zero w performs.

You will know that the hardware is working and be familiar with the connections, configurations, etc..

So if there is a problem with the Gameboy then the possible culprits are reduced.

Solution
So, I wanted to build a rasp pi zero w powered retrogaming device (it will probably look like a Gameboy advance) but I am a little confused about a couple of things, the buttons and the battery bank how would I go about putting those things in place? (I will probably build the case out of wood) I just need help in general. But the controls are the things I need the most help with. I assume I need to get a pcb printed but I don't feel confident that I could design my own so does anyone have any good gameboy advance pcb designs?

I highly Recommend you to watch video of Great Scott DIY Gameboy from Raspberry pi.. where he explained everything in fine details..(I am not promoting anyone.. but there is very good video tutorial available.. so I mentioned him)(Great Scott!!)

Last edited: