Question How to build a simple router/server system that I can connect to via cellular?

Sep 4, 2024
I hope this is the correct forum for this topic. If not, please point me in the proper direction.

I am trying to determine what items I would need to create and connect to a remote irrigation system.

Remotely, I would like to check on a wireless irrigation controller, as well as a “security” camera that I can use to visually check on the water level of our rain catchment system.

This system will have access to a 110v power (solar system). Our phones are able to access LTE service at this location, so I assume this system should be able to find a signal.

While the router system, irrigation controller and camera will have power 24/7, I am hoping the SIM card will only be using minutes when I am connecting to it from my phone or computer.

Please let me know if I am being unclear in my goal for this system. I appreciate your assistance.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Cellular modem/access point seems to be what you are after?

If the wireless irrigation controller and camera is intended for WiFi, then you need to extend your WiFi to that location. Which is an entirely different question. Some line of sight antennae to a another location that does have internet/network you have access to.

If you mean to have a computer there connected to the irrigation controller and camera that you then connect to via the internet then you could just set the computer up for remote access. That computer would need a cellular modem.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Create a ZeroTier/Tailscale VPN for yourself.

You likely will need a mini pc or Raspberry Pi at home running ZeroTier/Tailscale acting as a controller then you login remotely and then control.

Both VPN got tutorial on YT.

kanewolf

Titan
I hope this is the correct forum for this topic. If not, please point me in the proper direction.

I am trying to determine what items I would need to create and connect to a remote irrigation system.

Remotely, I would like to check on a wireless irrigation controller, as well as a “security” camera that I can use to visually check on the water level of our rain catchment system.

This system will have access to a 110v power (solar system). Our phones are able to access LTE service at this location, so I assume this system should be able to find a signal.

While the router system, irrigation controller and camera will have power 24/7, I am hoping the SIM card will only be using minutes when I am connecting to it from my phone or computer.

Please let me know if I am being unclear in my goal for this system. I appreciate your assistance.
Ubiquiti has a new, outdoor all-in-one cellular router -- https://store.ui.com/us/en/category/mobile-routing/products/umr-industrial-us
I have Ubiquiti for all my home network. I am very happy with their hardware.
There are probably similar devices from other vendors.

Sep 4, 2024

If the wireless irrigation controller and camera is intended for WiFi, then you need to extend your WiFi to that location. Which is an entirely different question. Some line of sight antennae to a another location that does have internet/network you have access to.

If you mean to have a computer there connected to the irrigation controller and camera that you then connect to via the internet then you could just set the computer up for remote access. That computer would need a cellular modem.
There is no WiFi at all on the property. This is located just about dead center of our 1200 acre place, so I am trying to find a way to do it via cellular. Thanks a ton for the quick response!

Sep 4, 2024

Create a ZeroTier/Tailscale VPN for yourself.

You likely will need a mini pc or Raspberry Pi at home running ZeroTier/Tailscale acting as a controller then you login remotely and then control.

Both VPN got tutorial on YT.
I do have an extra laptop and a Pi I can use. I'll research ZeroTier/Tailscale VPN on YT. Thanks a lot!

Sep 4, 2024
Ubiquiti has a new, outdoor all-in-one cellular router -- https://store.ui.com/us/en/category/mobile-routing/products/umr-industrial-us
I have Ubiquiti for all my home network. I am very happy with their hardware.
There are probably similar devices from other vendors.
I'll check it out! And then I just need a laptop attached to the cellular router? I like it! I wonder how long a laptop would last in 100' heat. It would be shaded, and I guess I could rig up a fan. Thank you!