How To: Build An HTPC (With Windows 7)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

findarato

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]Well that's exactly what I done with my DVD's. However ripping DVD's to an ISO file will soon fill up a hard drive, especially if you have box sets of TV programmes like I have (I have Deep Space Nine Season 3-7 ripped from DVD and each season weighs in at 58Gb's each). I got around this by encoding all my movies to a high quality XVID format (bar DS9) which has worked quite well. So far I have around 70 movies backed up onto my external Western Digital My Book hard drive, so when I get around to building my HTPC I can watch my movies right of the hard drive without having to worry about find the discs. The only draw back with this method is that you will lose some picture quality and the ripping and encoding process can take about 1/2 an hour per disc.[/citation]

Have you tried a product called Handbreak? (http://handbrake.fr/) it will convert your DVDs into smaller files, be it Xvid, Divx, or mp4. Its out for every OS, and is very script able, I normally just rip all my DVDs to the raw vobs, using dvd decrypter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Decrypter) then script up the conversion. It might take a while but you are left with a lot of single files that are ready to be moved to your server, or storage solution.

kaal

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2008
The nMedia case didn't have me smiling. In order to fit an Enermax PSU, I had to remove its safety fan grill. To plug in the electrical connections onto an ATI Radeon HD 4870 video card, I had to Dremel away a 3/4" hole in the case's HDD tray.
This last part is a rant & a release of my frustration with nMedia. The mechanical push button to operate the DVD drive tray wasn't designed properly. The case button slides neatly over & did not make contact with the drive's open/close tray button rendering the drive inoperable. The drive is the LG Blu-ray GGC-H20L, a very mainstream product. What is really offensive is that I can't be the 1st person in the world to come up with this problem. To re-engineer and fix it and even if they had to throw out a 1,000,000 bits of plastic wouldn't cost them as much as the $25 that I lost in paying for shipping. nMedia tech support never responded.
Then how about those ATI/AMD types who recommend stuff that their parts don't fit into? How many of their customers do they think own Dremels & are going to do a DIY shoehorn to get the video card plugged in. I bet they'll be angering (think of a more forceful word)thousands who are returning cards & cases for refunds 'cause they can't plug in the electrical connections into the cards.
Fight mindlessness, it's becoming an epidemic.
. This design was engineered by

jackalope

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
@Kaal, I have the nMedia H1000 case with the LG drive, works fine for me. Not sure why yours is not working, but my drive lines up fine with the chassis eject button.

I did not try a 4870 card in the chassis, but then I did not need a super high power GPU card in my set up since I don't do any gaming on the HTPC.

I am not sure what AMD/ATI recommendations you are talking about so can't really comment on that either.

Overall, nmedia chassis is an OK solution. I think there are things they could do a little better, but I don't think it is as drastic as you make it out to be.

clist

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
OK, first off I have to say that with everything going automated and remoted, how often do you actually get up and touch any of your AV gear - other than to put a DVD in the tray? I amazed that there could be so many people who:
1. Have antennas (I've lived for 13 years in a city that doesn't allow them)
2. Have their AV gear in plain site. Get an RF repeater (or better yet, a RF universal remote) and put it in a closet. You get the luxury of louder fans, larger cases, and as much spaghetti wiring as you like!

OK, now my question;
I current have time warner cable with hbo & showtime HD. Can this set up record the two HD premium channels at a time that I can record with my set-top time warner DVR package - with no loss of quality? Can any HTPC card do that?

Thanks,
CList

fuermich99

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I would agree that I have most of that included in my Vista MCE setup. My Movies 2 to view DVD covers, with virtual clone drive to load my DVD iso's. I can't comment on bluray discs, but I believe the virtual clone drive can load them. I don't know about minimizing the media center interface and all thatl.

Silicon Dust's HD Homerun for a dual tuner setup. My music is there as well.

The biggest lack I see is for things like Hulu tv episodes. I have been searching for a great plugin for VMC that would handle that, but no luck. The next deal would be a rhapsody plugin...

I would love to check out the Maui onboard amplifier... I don't have a receiver, and think this would be great.

Remote scheduling is also great, using Webguide. I realize that most of this has been third party software, and if Windows 7 really makes it a one stop shop I can see the appeal. I looked long and hard before I tried Vista media Center, and honestly, besides the normal microsoft quirks, nothing I have seen combines it all so well. MythTV is up there, but there is a lot more configuring to do, and it doesn't always go the way you had planned...

wanga1983

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
@ravenware

I use a disc stacker management solution called Centurion CD - http://www.centurion-cd.com.au/. The software allows me to file the discs into the machine, and bring them up easily. I used to rip my discs until a friend introduced the stacker idea - just brilliant! Not having to rip the discs saves me a lot of time and HDD storage space.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Nice review. I just built a dedicated HTPC which receives it's feed from satellite. I was hoping that the Win 7 version would support H.264.

I have been using Media center for 3 years now and find it very functional compared to my Satelite PVR which has a terrible UI (Bell express vu Canada)

I also have a Hauppauge HD PVR hooked up to my gaming PC. I was very disappointed with the software that came with the HD PVR. I ended up downloading Beyond TV4 from Snapstream. It is on par with Vista MC. I am using the HD PVR to build a library of HD movies. I have everything shared over the network so both TV's could access all recorded TV. Snapstream even lets you access your media over the internet via a secure server. It works quite well.

I currently don't use the Satellite PVR as it is full of the Back Yardigans and Dora the Explorer for my two year old.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I like PMS with my PS3 on my living room plasma, and iMON HD on one of my media servers with my projector in the basement theater. I also use Ubuntu on a sff pc in the bedroom on my lcd and ati tv wonder dongle. I use my DVR for the very occasional tv show I watch (free cable is awesome) but everything else is on my media servers. All rounded out with two harmony 890 pro's and three media extenders to control everything, even my home security camera pvr. The 890's keep synced on what devices are in what state so starting an activity in one room won't accidentally shut something off in another. Plus it can turn my AC on and off and up or down :)

G

I stand behind Jschoorl in saying that this article slightly misses the point of the AMD Maui Platform. It is supposed to be an all-in-one solution to replace all components of an A/V rack. It is a $100 loss if you are connecting by spdif out on the motherboard, since the extra money is purely on the amplifier/pre-amp quality.

For pure audio/video, with audio being sent out to a receiver via spdif, the optimal platform would be a 4050e 45 watt processor in a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H or similar board that supports 5.1 audio encoding into DTS format through its spdif connection (since otherwise you would get only 2 channel PCM stereo audio through spdif). This would be more than proficient in playing anything up to and including blu-ray content, it also outputs the best audio that can be expected from an HTPC without spending a grand on high end audio components that support the PAP (protected audio path) laden DTS-HD and Dolby True HD lossless audio streams. Additionally, this money can be better spent on either a dedicated graphics card for large format screen gaming, more hard drive space for networked storage or onboard storage, quiter/cooler components, a better TV or set of speakers, etc.

G

Until I can time-shift all of the HD programming available on my FiOS set top box, I will be sticking with Verizon's DVR service.

MasterCATZ

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Does Windows 7 Allow Dual View ( with Vista Nvidia removed the option )
main reason I stuck with win 2003 as my multimedia system as I could MSN / Interact with PC with out Disturbing my Full SCREEN Play back on the TV

How ever I might get an AMD / ATI Package nxt time Hopefully they will be up to the challenge by then Intels been going Great with the Duel core duo's

I'm still trying to cut down the dreaded power bill at home
hopefully if I build up a nice SAS system with an integrated media system I can cut down power usage with HDD's in a raid array spinning down .. and run some VM Desktop that I can quickly remote into instead of having the 5x pc's currently running 24/7 ...

Did anyone ever use jetways TwinUser mainboard ( allowed 2x users to use the same pc @ the time .. wish their was something like that still around

so much CPU power goes to waist these days

G

This review is atrocious, and full of a lot of nothing but editorializing with very little supportive substance.

I've been running HTPCs on ALL of my TVs since the first tuners came out, and ever since Windows MCE HTPCs have been just as home / ease friendly (and in the cases of many even elderly I have installed them for, more friendly) than the DVRs that are shipped with the likes of Comcrap, TiVo et all.

Your article reeks of editorial from someone who just in the last few months realized that computers had the ability to output to televisions. Compared to the usually worth while articles on THG, yours easily garnishes a score of -100 on a scale of 1 to 10.

G

Computers are always at the front end of media tech. Games, video and music will always be at the cutting edge level. So the sound quality and picture quality is excellent. That's the good news. The only problem I have with this review is the use of Windows 7 which is in beta, which won't do much good now.

As a builder of HTPCs (now HTMacs). Here are other considerations that weren't mentioned in this article: -tips on building a quiet PC
-using smaller PCs like Shuttle,
-tips on surround speakers systems
-software such as slysoft to rip optical media
-using mac mini's (or older Macs) as an alternative
-Security and Virus protection
-wireless networking tips

I started out connecting PCs to my TV back in 2000. As you begin to build and experiment you'll have many considerations. My advice is to us all of your resources to build a quiet and effective system. Computer are way more powerful than were in 2000. With Flat screen TV technology and quality of Media Center components at an all time high your choices will be many.

The challenge you'll face with a PC is the typical issues that plague us today: Viruses and Vista. Which is pretty sad the many people are high on Windows 7 which is in Beta (I am high on W7 as well) On the plus side there are more options on the PC, such as software and hardware choices.

I switched to the HTMac 3 years ago using inexpensive Apple G4s, swapping out the fans for quieter solutions and using Leopard which has built in 'HTPC' software called Front Row. Once I gained confidence in the Apple product, I purchased my first Intel Mac Mini. The advantage: simplicity, ease of use, and stability. The disadvantage: Apple has the software and hardware on lock down, thus there aren't as many options for hardware.

Conclusion:
Whatever you go with, make sure plan your system and start small. Leave no stone unturned. Use this article and supplement it with the things they didn't consider. On the cheap you can get a used computer, a wireless keyboard and get started.

I have a mixed home dual band wireless network, a mac-mini acting as a fileserver (for media sharing, print sharing and backups), PC and Mac clients, a host of wireless keyboards, wireless remotes, xbox 360s, Wii, and Playstations.

The entertainment solution you design you meet your needs if you design it well, but there is much to consider than what is in the this article. Hundreds of solutions are available, but you will have to look for them.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Couple questions from a gamer:
1) Could that windows 7 music playback stuff run properly on an old P4 2.2ghz with 1.5gb pc3200 and a fx5200?

2) I'm impressed by sound cards that work as amps. I've got a huge old sherwood surround amp that 'only' supplies 90w per channel. Could be awesome to swap that for an internal card since I have nothing else attached to the real amp. Would either of those msi cards work on a normal pcie slot? I'm thinking the secondary pcie x16 connector (running x4 internally) on my p35 .... or are there other pcie amps available for said purpose?

3) wouldn't a cheap 5050e dual core cpu have been sufficient to run the system in the article?

clist

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
[citation][nom]HD_Guru[/nom]Hauppauge HD PVR ( avchd-usb video capture device )... will soon be supported by Win7 MCE. It's the best way to watch and record Premium HDTV on your HTPC. http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html[/citation]

Yeah but... this is basically like a PC-based VCR. AFAICT, it won't let me record one channel while I watch another, or record two channels at the same time - or will it?? Again, I have hard time giving up my cable-company set-top DVR if I lose functionality...

Cheers,
CList

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The Hauppauge HD PVR still requires a set-top cable box for getting premium (non-QCAM) digital content from your cable company. I'd be very happy to see a driver for this inside VMC to make it work like the unprotected content from a HDHomerun. I don't think that's available today, is it?

And yes... the Hauppauge DVR will only record or play one channel at a time as it has a single tuner. This again requires use of the IRBlaster on the back of the unit. To get two channels with these boxes you'll need two Hauppauge DVRs and *2* cable boxes (even if they're dual-tuner cable boxes.) It's not an ideal solution for that type of application.

wmt

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
[citation][nom]TwoDigital[/nom]The Hauppauge HD PVR still requires a set-top cable box for getting premium (non-QCAM) digital content from your cable company. I'd be very happy to see a driver for this inside VMC to make it work like the unprotected content from a HDHomerun. I don't think that's available today, is it?And yes... the Hauppauge DVR will only record or play one channel at a time as it has a single tuner. This again requires use of the IRBlaster on the back of the unit. To get two channels with these boxes you'll need two Hauppauge DVRs and *2* cable boxes (even if they're dual-tuner cable boxes.) It's not an ideal solution for that type of application.[/citation]

I agree, not exactly ideal but works well for longer term than the self contained DVRs and if your cable company is like mine where even the non-premium channels are encrypted meaning I need a box anyway you still get the advantages others have listed (DVD and music playback, etc.)

KiLo81

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
I feel that it is complete bullpies that Windows 7 can't play back Blu-Ray without some other software. As far as using a HTPC for DVR purposes goes most of North America is rural meaning that OTA might net you 3 local channels, QAM is getting encrypted to death other than local channels, and NTSC (SD) cable picture quality just flat out sucks. Hauppage HD-PVR is a joke, no HDMI and single tuner. Cable cards for independent system builders would make my day (will never happen) and then what about satellite guys (remeber rural). The whole allure of the HTPC is a do all box. We are a long way from ever seeing this happen. Like one guy said in a previous post despite the HTPC being strangled I still love mine at least for music and movies.

jackalope

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
@Neiro.... Yes, a 5050e could do everything that was shown. I am using a quad core in my set up because I am streaming content to another TV in the house and I don't think a dual core can be active on both the current screen and streaming to other screens at the same time. Quad does not have an issue with that.

@Kilo MS will never get BD playback. BD playback uses Java...owned by Sun...mortal enemies of MS...therefore MS will never get a lic. to incorporate Java in any of there products...therefore no BD playback. I am sure MS would love to offer it, but there is no way Sun will ever let them have a key piece of technology to make it happen.

As for cablecard at the SI level? Already available. Check out Aspen Media Products and Ace Computing. Both offer sub $1K cable card solutions. Aspen even bills theirs as a psuedo DIY solution.

http://www.aspenmediaproducts.com/Products/ConsumerLine/tabid/86/Default.aspx

http://www.acedigitalhome.com/

HD_Guru

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]CList[/nom]Yeah but... this is basically like a PC-based VCR. AFAICT, it won't let me record one channel while I watch another, or record two channels at the same time - or will it?? Again, I have hard time giving up my cable-company set-top DVR if I lose functionality...Cheers,CList[/citation]

The Hauppauge HD PVR works very well in harmony with a Cable or Sat DVR. It can be used for live premium HDTV viewing with PVR functionality...however, it really shines as a permanent Archiving device, whereby one could record and back-up premium HDTV movies, ppv's, vods etc etc. It's really a holy grail for this usage model...and also one of a kind. It record's into the avchd (h264+ac3) format, complete with DD5.1.

plbyrd

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I would like to see you add a second tuner card to this build and see how well the software handles this as it would solve the problem of not being able to record and watch separate HD programs.

Also, I would like to know if there are any solutions for providing a pass-through on HDMI and if there are cards to do component to hdmi conversion in the PC. Finally, I would want to see a card to do AV to 480p, 720p, and 1080p upscaling. I love the idea of having the AMP in the PC and this would solve several problems and completely eliminate the need for an external receiver. To make the HTPC truly useful, it needs to be able to eliminate several components:

1) Receiver
2) DVR
3) Media Player Extender

It also needs to support these features:

1) Real-Time AV Upscaling
2) Real-Time HDMI Pass-through
3) Real-Time Component HD to HDMI conversion

This would allow us to hook up our various video game systems as well as using a real Blue Ray player instead of putting a BD rom in the computer. It would also allow the use of a satellite receiver (an other set top boxes) for HD content that still routes all audio and video through the HTPC.

Hopefully AMD and Hauppage are working on solutions for these HTPC challenges.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
yep.....my mythtv box is GREAT!

by the way...doesn't matter what system you are using....
use handbrake for DVD's and use ripbot264 for blue ray (using ANYDVD) to save butt loads of space on your box....1TB is very possible...i have only filled my drive 1/4 so far....2TB will be more than enough....just make sure that you at least purchase a external drive to back up all your movies just in case your PVR FAILS!!!!!! because that is a ton of work to re encode ALL those movies

Status
Not open for further replies.