News How to Buy PCs (and Parts) That Ship Now: Newegg CEO, Others Explain How They're Maintaining Stock

Apr 1, 2020
Don't forget about B&H Photo. Their selection may not be as vast as Newegg, but they are an American company whose prices often match or exceed Newegg and Amazon, and their store card gives you sales tax back as an instant credit, which can exceed Amazon's 5%.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Funny thing about webcams is that even though all of my coworkers are using laptops with built-in cameras, we do our meetings audio-only. Why waste bandwidth, potentially degrading call quality, just to look at jumpy pixelated streams of each other talking?

I get that it's different for family and friends, but I think it's not really working from home that's driving the demand for cams.

dan_L

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
For many years, I've found the best prices and stock online -- along with with the most reasonable return policies to consistently be:
(1) newegg.com
(2) micocenter.com - and their brick and mortar stores to be even better than buying online
(3) frys.com
All three do price matching and have fair return policies. So if you can find a better price at amazon.com, you'll get better service, stop enabling Amazon's draconian treatment of its warehouse employees, and help the broader economy.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So if you can find a better price at amazon.com, you'll get better service, stop enabling Amazon's draconian treatment of its warehouse employees, and help the broader economy.
I'm just asking this as an honest question: do you know anything about how those sellers treat their warehouse employees?

If I had it on good authority that one or more of them were truly better places to work than Amazon's warehouses, I'd even be wiling to pay a bit more to order from them.

BTW, one benefit of buying from Newegg is their rewards program. I got my Bose headphones from Newegg, because everyone had them for the same price, but Newegg gave me points that I could use for a discount on a subsequent order. So, it was effectively cheaper to buy from them, since I knew I'd have a chance to use the points.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
I'm just asking this as an honest question: do you know anything about how those sellers treat their warehouse employees?

If I had it on good authority that one or more of them were truly better places to work than Amazon's warehouses, I'd even be wiling to pay a bit more to order from them.

BTW, one benefit of buying from Newegg is their rewards program. I got my Bose headphones from Newegg, because everyone had them for the same price, but Newegg gave me points that I could use for a discount on a subsequent order. So, it was effectively cheaper to buy from them, since I knew I'd have a chance to use the points.

I have been using NewEgg since they were frst being advertised on Anandtech. I have bought hundreds of thousands of dollars of products from the and through them - I would not use their other sellers - I have had a couple bad experiences, and won't use them again. Every single product I have bought from NewEgg was well packed and arrived in perfect condition - and on the rare occasions I got a dud (hard drives) RMA was quick and painless...

I always found the prices to be more than fair, and often the cheapest around. I used to use PriceWatch back when I was still building PCs for customers, and yeah there were places cheaper than NewEgg back then - but IF you had to return something it was hit or miss with the ultra low price sellers. Once you realize how streamlined the RMA process at NewEgg - it's worth the few extra bucks.

I have 2 friends who work at Amazon warehouses, and they would KILL to get their jobs at Wal-Mart back... I know no one who works at NewEgg.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have bought hundreds of thousands of dollars of products from the and through them
Wow. You've got me beat. I think my first order from them was a Pentium 4 machine that I built around 2005. That's the first and last time I ordered all the parts for a machine in a single, big order. They threw in a free hat, which I still have.

Every single product I have bought from NewEgg was well packed and arrived in perfect condition - and on the rare occasions I got a dud (hard drives) RMA was quick and painless...
Funny you should mention that. I got 4 HDDs from them >= 10 years ago and one had physical damage to its PCB, as if it got smashed against a corner of something. Luckily I noticed before plugging it in. As you say, they honored their RMA policy and sent me a new replacement, though I recall I did submit a picture of the damage (I forget whether it was required, though). Luckily, I had a new macro lens for my camera that made it an easy picture to take.

But, that was so long ago that I don't consider it to have any relevance to Newegg in their current incarnation.

I used to use PriceWatch back when
Yeah, I learned about them around the time I first visited Tom's - in '96 or '97.

I have 2 friends who work at Amazon warehouses, and they would KILL to get their jobs at Wal-Mart back... I know no one who works at NewEgg.
Thanks for that data point. I wonder if college athletes do well there. From what I've heard, that seems to be in line with what the job demands.