How to bypass "Access Denied" security on an old XP hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCMailbox

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2013
Hello!

I recently rebooted an old Dell and put a new HDD with Windows 7 on it, I needed to replace the HDD because my old one (with Windows XP) got a virus and subsequently became corrupt, and every time I tried to use the Windows XP disk to repair the hard drive, I would get a BSOD (BAD_POOL_CALLER). I plugged my old XP drive into another SATA port so I can access it from the Windows 7 drive, but when I try to grab off a ton of my old files at a time, or any folder/file for that matter, it says "Access Denied" and I have to change the ownership of the folder/file (very tedious when you have 80gb worth of pictures, video and music). So my question is if there's any way I could bypass the security as a whole (it's my account on there so I know the user info and password if that makes a difference) so I could backup all my files without running into a security block, because as mentioned previously, I'm able to change the ownership for one specific folder/file at a time but that means I would have to do so for every file in every folder, and I have quite a lot of files. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Solution
Go to the top level of the folder structure and open the Properties for it. From the Security tab, select the Advanced button. From the default Permissions tab, add yourself to the list and check off the option Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object, OK it. Reopen the Advanced Security Settings, go to the Owner tab, edit, add yourself again and check off Replace owner on sub container and objects.

gmkos

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Go to the top level of the folder structure and open the Properties for it. From the Security tab, select the Advanced button. From the default Permissions tab, add yourself to the list and check off the option Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object, OK it. Reopen the Advanced Security Settings, go to the Owner tab, edit, add yourself again and check off Replace owner on sub container and objects.

Solution
Hi

there is a filter driver which can be used to bypass security
readme attached
I run it from a BartPE/ubcd4wiin rescue CD

regards
Mike Barnes
-------------
AccessGain MiniFilter Driver 1.0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(C) Copyright 2009 by Razvan Hobeanu and Bogdan Hobeanu

Description:

This is the first release of a mini-filter driver used to bypass file system security
checks in order to access folders protected by NTFS security permissions or by
3rd-party software.

URL: http://www.hobeanu.com/blog

Supported operating systems:

- Windows 2000 SP4 Rollup 1
- Windows XP SP2, SP3
- Windows Server 2003 32-bit and 64-bit
- Windows Vista RTM, SP1 32-bit and 64-bit
- Windows Server 2008 32-bit and 64-bit
- Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit

Please note that in order to load the driver on 64-bit versions of Windows you have to
disable the driver signature enforcement:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa906338.aspx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Choose your platform folder:

- 32-bit: i386
- 64-bit: amd64

2. Right-click accgain.inf and click Install

- this will copy accgain.sys to the \windows\system32\drivers folder
and register the minifilter

3. Open a command prompt

4. Type: fltmc load AccessGainDriver

- this will load the AccessGain MiniFilter driver into memory

5. Type: fltmc attach AccessGainDriver c:

- this will attach the AccessGain MiniFilter driver to your C: drive.

6. Try using Explorer to browse C:\System Volume Information which is a folder
protected by the operating system using NTFS security permissions.

7. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Detaching and unloading:

1. Open a command prompt

2. Type: fltmc detach AccessGainDriver c:

3. Type: fltmc unload AccessGainDriver

4. You're done!
-------------------------

or use this it usually works for access denied

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

you cant take ownership of the whole drive as such

ie you cant right click drive C or D and take ownership

but you can open say drive D then select every file and folder in it then tell it to take ownership which will include sub

folders and files in them

MCMailbox

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2013

Thank you so much! This really saved me a lot of time and effort. I'd been looking all over the internet but I haven't seen a real answer answer or any solution as effective and simple as yours, so thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS