Question How to Change Image Editor in Windows "Edit" Right Click Menu

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
A while back, I was able to set Photoshop as the default application to open when I right click on an image file and click "edit" in Windows 10 (super handy by the way). I've upgraded my program now, and it still loads the old program. I can't remember how I assigned it before. It might have been a 3rd party app I installed or just did a manual registry edit.

Does anyone know/remember how to edit the string that tells Windows what app to load for this right click option?

Before the W10 era, I most often did manage to edit file associations manually, there are many ways to do this in Windows registry, and you must know how grouping of file extensions works - e.g. There was a group called "picture" that was nothing but a collection of file extensions, and of course you will get conflicts when the "Edit" handler for a gif-file points to mspaint while the group of file extensions called "image" have the same handler pointed to PS - and consider that gif file already belong to the "image" collection of extensions. What will take precedence over the other when right click --> Edit on the Gif file?
But this is being long time now, the registry is even more complex these days and many of the extensions refers to a string key that in turn points to some dll file, make it very hard to manually edit.

However, there are one nice tool that I'be being used myself in order to adjust ever so slightly on the right click menu in file explorer:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
Before the W10 era, I most often did manage to edit file associations manually, there are many ways to do this in Windows registry, and you must know how grouping of file extensions works - e.g. There was a group called "picture" that was nothing but a collection of file extensions, and of course you will get conflicts when the "Edit" handler for a gif-file points to mspaint while the group of file extensions called "image" have the same handler pointed to PS - and consider that gif file already belong to the "image" collection of extensions. What will take precedence over the other when right click --> Edit on the Gif file?
But this is being long time now, the registry is even more complex these days and many of the extensions refers to a string key that in turn points to some dll file, make it very hard to manually edit.

However, there are one nice tool that I'be being used myself in order to adjust ever so slightly on the right click menu in file explorer:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

Thanks for the reply! But I actually found the original article here (for those wanting to know later): How to Change Which Software Windows 10’s "Edit" Context Menu Option Opens

It's located in the registry @ Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\Shell\edit\command

TRENDING THREADS