How to change memory speeds in Vivobook Pro i7-8750h

rgcuestas

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Hi, I bought these memories for an Asus Vivobook Pro with i7-8750h but only run at 2400. Is there anyway to tweak with a software to run at 2666? According to a computer builder, some kingston memories do run at 2666.

Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Single DDR4 2666 MT/s (PC4-21300) DR x8 DIMM 288-Pin Memory - BLS16G4D26BFSB (Gray)

Solution
If you can do it from BIOS, good for you. If you can't no worries. The difference would be less than 5% at most. By making it make run at 2666 (Yes, the RAM supports it), you will output more heat, use more battery, while sacrificing latency for speed. So you might get a performance drop.

The computer builders that sold it to me claim that KVR26S19D8/16 does work at 2666 and they tested
The RAM supports it. The Vivobook might not. You have to look around BIOS.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Go to BIOS, Enable XMP or the equivalent of it. It's usually inside Ai tweaker (Advanced) or Main page (Basic).

If it doesn't work, manually increase the speed if your BIOS supports it.
---------------
Also, update the BIOS to the latest version.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
If you can do it from BIOS, good for you. If you can't no worries. The difference would be less than 5% at most. By making it make run at 2666 (Yes, the RAM supports it), you will output more heat, use more battery, while sacrificing latency for speed. So you might get a performance drop.

The computer builders that sold it to me claim that KVR26S19D8/16 does work at 2666 and they tested
The RAM supports it. The Vivobook might not. You have to look around BIOS.

Solution

rgcuestas

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I guess I also need to buy better thermal paste and other cooling techniques to make it perform well?

The sellers have this option.
Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces – BEST PERFORMANCE
They sell it for $95USD, wonder if it's overpriced?

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
I guess I also need to buy better thermal paste and other cooling techniques to make it perform well?
Gaming laptops tend to overheat. If you go over 80c, consider cooling solutions like laptop cooler + thermal paste change. As overheating can cause thermal throttling + noise problems.

They sell it for $95USD, wonder if it's overpriced?
It's overpriced by 2-3 times and there is a reason for that. Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut is liquid metal. One little mistake and your laptop is fried. They take extra money to guarantee safety.

I would just spend the money on a good laptop cooler + Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut. Should get the job done. BEST PERFORMANCE is for enthusiasts who only care about performance.