News How to Change Microsoft Edge's Home Page, New Tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2022
Marry me. Thank you! I'm not good with the technical stuff when it comes to computers, but I follow directions very well and all you need to do is tell me what to do and I'll do it. This worked and I am happy. ❤❤❤

Sleerf

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
It's such a shame that MS can be so brilliant and so ignorant simultaneously. Edge is an absolutely fantastic browser. It's really a step above Chrome despite the Google developed Chromium backend, All they had to do was release it and keep pushing new concepts like the Collections and so many more, and it would gain quickly. But then they go shoot themselves in the foot like this which makes people resist making the change even if they might was to try it! Sure, that Miscrosoft page with all the Microsoft stuff tied to the users Microsoft account might be a reason for some to stay actually but it totally freaks others out. Then people like me simply want flexibility because we're in a constant state of change.

So to get to a point where I have to install a 3rd party plugin just to have new tabs open as I want is outrageous to me and undermining their goals.

Sep 6, 2022
I just tested this and it works great. No extension needed for the "NewTab". Save as a .REG file and run it. Then reboot. Any URL can be used.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge\Recommended]
"NewTabPageLocation"="http://www.google.com/"

Nov 8, 2022
I created an account just to thank you for this article!! 👍 I have been reading tom's Hardware articles for decades. The best!

Nov 16, 2022
Thanks for this article.

The steps you have to go through to do this is really a testament to how hellbent big tech is on giving us all severe, irreversible brain damage. Microsoft forces you to view their "news" page upon the opening of a new tab only to bombard your eyes with "articles" about horrific freak accidents that aren't even relevant to world events, and only serve to further desensitize the population to suffering and destroy our base empathy for other humans. When I open a new tab to google how to use a V-lookup function in excel, I don't need to know that a mother of 3 was killed by a truck while driving to work. I don't need to know an 8 year old was mauled to death by a crocodile in front of his parents. It is really a sign of the times that these profoundly tragic and brutal events are what Microsoft, (a company that at time of writing is worth $1.8 Trillion) chooses to show their users. The fact that I have to use a third party extension to escape the existential dread they deliberately instil in me is utterly disgusting and can only lead me to believe that the goal of our corporate overlords is to destroy the very base instincts that make us human. If you're reading this, please continue to say no to these sick, vile people and remember that each and every person you see online is a real person with real feelings and VALUE. Peace and love to you all and here's to the downfall of Microsoft, Facebook and the rest of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.