How to change NAT type?

Apr 6, 2018
Hey guys. I have a D-LINK router connected via fibre. Whenever I try to play warframe ,destiny 2 or Dolphin Melee netplay on my PC I can't properly find game sessions and the game warns me that I have a "Strict NAT". I've tried to port-forward on my own with limited success, then I let a friend of mine who's pretty experienced with networking remotely control my PC and check my router settings out and even after he properly configured the port-forwarding it still didn't work. Consoles are even more frustrating for me as I can't play Smash 4 online on my Wii U as it fails to connect to every single game despite having a functioning connection. Apparently people have been telling me to turn on UPnP but it was on from the beginning in my router settings.

My ISP is bahnhof which is a Sweden based company and apparently they've ditched public IPs for private IPs. Does this affect NAT type?
https://www.bahnhof.se/support/category/bredband/bestall-publik-ip/245 (It's in Swedish, should be able to translate the page if you use Google Chrome)

The provider of my fibre optic connection is stadsnät, essentialy means city network and is a state/county iniative. I reside in the Örebro area, here's the link to their site:
https://www.stadsnat.se/

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Port Forwarding isn't the problem. That's only when an external computer initiates a connection to one of your computers behind your NAT. When you initiate it then the routers should be flowing the packets to the proper ports. The ISP may have ports that you need blocked. Some games, mainly older stuff, are player hosted, but one like Destiny 2 is 100% hosted by blizzard. If a game is player hosted, ie you are the server, then you may need port forwarding for that game.

Plug your computer into the modem so that you aren't behind your personal NAT. Test to see if the issue is with the ISPs routing or if it's your router.
Port Forwarding isn't the problem. That's only when an external computer initiates a connection to one of your computers behind your NAT. When you initiate it then the routers should be flowing the packets to the proper ports. The ISP may have ports that you need blocked. Some games, mainly older stuff, are player hosted, but one like Destiny 2 is 100% hosted by blizzard. If a game is player hosted, ie you are the server, then you may need port forwarding for that game.

Plug your computer into the modem so that you aren't behind your personal NAT. Test to see if the issue is with the ISPs routing or if it's your router.

Solution

Hasley

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
I would recommend you call your ISP and talk to them directly about NAT.
If you have tried everything you can on your side, this is probably the best option. Their support team should know exactly what about their service affects customers NAT's and will be able to assist you further from their side.
It may even be a case of them switching you over from a Static IP Address to a Dynamic IP Address.