Question How to change password in newly installed modem/router?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
My internet has been down for some time and a technician came over to fix the issue. Eventually the modem was replaced as well. The old modem was an arris modem. This modem/router is called technicolor. Then after I entered the default wifi password given, I could connect with my device.

Now, do most people here change their passwords after getting their internet installed? There is now a new network and wifi password because of this. If so, what is the reason for changing the password? Does everyone change the password? I always used the default one given by the internet company a while back.

Also, how do you change the password on your settings? Is it the 192.168.1 or is it something else? Again this is a modem/router called technicolor. Do i need to make sure im hard wired on the laptop before i do this as oppose to wifi?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
So someone posted easiest way to find the default gateway ip address is command prompt and then ipconfigure.

Then go to that ... it is 192.168.0.1 for me.

When I type that in address bar, shows

Not secure/192.168.0.1/#/login

Is that normal?

On main screen it shows

technicolor
DOCSIS 3.1 Wireless Gateway

But when i type in admin/admin or admin/password, it doesn't work? How do i log in? What is the username/password?

I tried admin/password, admin/admin... admin/ my wifi password... none of it works.

I then typed in the address bar of 192.168.100.1 and it goes to the same exact technicolor page... is that normal? I thought only one site would show that which would be the 192.168.0.1?

pauly01

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2013
When i take a look at the actual modem, there is a sticker on the side where you see the wifi password. That is the current wifi password that im using and the one that the technician gave me. Its the same wifi password as on the sticker that is sticked to the modem. Thus i want to change that wifi password to my own wifi password.

Also there is this

GUI username/password that is also sticked to the sticker in the router. That certainly is not it right? I tried entering that into the username/password on the 192.168.0.1 page and that didn't work. I tried admin/admin/ admin/password and none of those work.

The name of this technicolor modem seem to be... according to the box shows

CGA4233TLV2

Found this site below

https://www.router-reset.com/default-password-ip-list/Technicolor

But that username/password does not work for the modem... they seem to have the same model... however the link above show the address is 192.168.100.1 which isn't correct though.

So here is the manual for your router.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1451695/Technicolor-Cga4233.html?page=6#manual

It appears this device does not have a common password like admin/admin. It says to put in "user" for the userid and then look for the password on the bottom of the router. This is a different password than the wifi password.

In general the passwords the router has by default are very secure. Many people do not like them because they are a pain to type in. The manual talks about using WPS instead which is so stupid after they go to all the trouble to insure good passwords both for wifi and admin.
WPS is massively insecure. It should be one the first things you disable when you are making wifi changes.

My internet has been down for some time and a technician came over to fix the issue. Eventually the modem was replaced as well. The old modem was an arris modem. This modem/router is called technicolor. Then after I entered the default wifi password given, I could connect with my device.

Now, do most people here change their passwords after getting their internet installed? There is now a new network and wifi password because of this. If so, what is the reason for changing the password? Does everyone change the password? I always used the default one given by the internet company a while back.

Also, how do you change the password on your settings? Is it the 192.168.1 or is it something else? Again this is a modem/router called technicolor. Do i need to make sure im hard wired on the laptop before i do this as oppose to wifi?
There are 2 types of passwords; one for access from devices trying to connect and a second one for changing the router's settings. If the connecting password is written on a label on the router then I would definitely change that especially if you have visitors who might copy it and try external access. The password to change the router's setting should also be changed so that anyone who is able to break into the router cannot lock you out. You should also review your router's security settings which may be labelled Access Control or Mac Binding which limit the devices which can connect to your router to an approved list of your devices.

TRENDING THREADS