How-To: Change Your IP Address in Windows

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchlgn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

r_manic,

What is the difference between the IP address of the computer and the IP address of the internet connection? Which one is identifiable to other websites? I have a dynamic connection with my current DSL provider, and I can change my IP address at will. I am considering changing providers for greater bandwidth with a VOIP provider, but I'll have a static connection. The sales rep for the VIOP provider said I could make a request through tech support whenever I wanted to change. I don't like the sound of that, and I'm not really sure she understood what I was asking. I'm not going to change providers until understand what my options are. My computer is a laptop not connected to a network. I don't know what hardware I would have supplied to me by the VIOP provider.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

The IP address on the outside is considered your public IP address, and would be the only one exposed.... however from a security point of view it really doesn't matter. This whole thread isn't about security as changing your IP address, really isn't going to help you be "more secure". The criminals aren't tracking you by your IP and they aren't spending hours on end trying to hack through your Linksys. Changing the IP isn't going to make your more or less vulnerable here. It's like moving living in the bad part of town where all the houses get broken into all the time... and you keep moving to a different house everyday in the same bad neighborhood. Realistically the chances of something happening don't change. If you want to be more secure you need to start putting bars on the windows and getting a big dog. The following items are things you should ACTUALLY worry about rather than changing your IP address thinking it's doing anything for your security posture:

1) Install a good antivirus on your PC

2) ALWAYS use some type of router / firewall, DISABLE UPnP on it, DISABLE remote management, and set a GOOD password, meaning something that contains at least letters and numbers and isn't in the dictionary.

2b) Enable the firewall on your computer, be it Windows, Mac or Linux

3) Don't open ports from the internet to computers inside your network. If you MUST do this, create a separate internal network that doesn't have access to your important computers. (DMZ)

4) Don't click on anything suspicious... if you get a pop up on a web page that says your computer is infected and you need a "free scan" DON'T CLICK IT. If you get an email stating that your bank needs you to "re-validate" your information... DON'T CLICK IT. If you get an attachment from someone you don't know, DON'T OPEN IT. If you get an attachment that seems weird from someone you DO know... dont' open it.

5) Enable automatic updates for Windows, Mac, or Linux... and your Antivirus software these will help protect you.

6) If you have wireless at your house, secure it using WEP or WPA, and again use a secure password / network key.

7) Don't install meaningless "free" applications. Like most things in life, very few things are actually "free"...

8) Don't download pirated software, not only could it land you in jail, but 1/2 the time it comes with a healthy dose of malware

If you follow the above steps you'll be making meaningful progress towards making yourself more secure.

Good Work Every One
My Website Link:

Do I get paid for giving my opinion on your very poor and badly constructed website? Tom's is a help Forum not a place for free adverts. You'll be welcomed as a helpful poster and can place your website link so it shows under the More Information link below your avatar but it's not appropriate to do it the way you have.[/#000ff]

FERIM1

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Do you use same software to change IP like Changer-Premium?
I used it,but with the problems.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010

No, Windows lets you change it if you need to, and changing it generally accomplishes nothing unless your network topology changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.