Question How to check for secondhand CPU?

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Hi all,
I found a good deal second hand CPU I7-12700K for 300$.
But I'm not sure where to look or where to check if the CPU is in the good condition.

Could you guys please give me some advice on this?

Thank you all.

max13

Reputable
Aug 23, 2019
Amazon has the new with warranty for $60 more, why take a chance?

Otherwise, see it in working system and removed, handed to you. Fallback on seller feedback or trust.

It would cost more for shipping and import fee from where i live around 51$ more.

And retailer prices from where i lives is 440$

Do Intel CPU's have different part no's marked on the spreader for a tray CPU as for a boxed CPU?

The only way to be positive it's not used is to get a sealed, unopened, boxed CPU from a reputable retailer. Otherwise, you're depending on the reputation of the seller on ebay (or whatever).

As a practical matter if it's not DOA it will most likely be fine and give a long useful life even if it was used. So the important thing is to have an easy-return agreement if that should be the case.

Reactions: max13
Know your seller.
Most are legit and safe.
If you buy via ebay, they have seller protection if the product is not as advertised.

How will you pay?

The occasional fraud can change the writing on a lesser chip to 12700K.
Or, can even send you an empty box.

If the seller is selling a 12700K so he can upgrade to a 13700K, that is a legitimate reason.
Otherwise I would be more suspicious.

Thank you all for the help.

I decided not to buy from him.
Because he cannot provide me the SN for warranty check.
Intel does not have full serial numbers on their chips.
12700K has a 3 year warranty from Intel. Since it has not been out for 3 years, a genuine chip will still be under warranty.
The mfg date will be known by the batch number printed on the chip. or box
But, Intel processors rarely fail; your concern is if it is genuine.