Question How to check if my new Samsung Odyssey G9 is okay?

Netsurfer733

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
Hey all. I just got the amazing Samsung Odyssey G9, which I'm absolutely in love with and is exactly as I hoped. It's perfect for work and its perfect for games. Couldn't be happier.

However, I'm an absolute noob when it comes to monitors, and I've no idea if mine is actually, totally, good - and I only have 28 days left to make sure, otherwise I'm stuck with whatever I have. As you know, it's an expensive monitor, only warranted due to my work.

I know a few things off hand about what to look for, namely light bleed, and dead pixels. However, I'm not sure of the best way to thoroughly check for these things for this monitor, or any other monitor really. And perhaps more importantly, I really am not sure of what else to check for. So far, I haven't seen anything wrong. But who knows if I'll notice something in 29 days.

So is anyone able to share a choice article or video about this, or know of what things to look for in terms of this particular monitor?

Netsurfer733

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
Some updated information.

There are scratches on the screen, I think, and I haven't tried to buff them out or anything yet because I'm not entirely sure what's the best way to go about it yet. But they're invisible so far as i can tell, once the screen is on. Do these look like issues? There was no cover on the screen at all when it arrived, so I think this is just the normal matte screen we're looking at.

Oh, and going to 240hz with my gtx 1080 really seems to make my mouse less 'smooth', and I think I noticed my fps drop once I did so.

And HDR, when enabling that option in settings in Windows 10, seems like its making it better but...it also just makes the screen really grey? Should I be doing that differently?
View: https://imgur.com/a/1v98mw2

Netsurfer733

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
Oh that was just packaging, no worries there. I think they're just marks, not scratches, is my guess - they're truly invisible with the monitor on, even against a bright screen.

I still don't really understand the situation with HDR but I don't have a great solution for how to test it. Any ideas? Is there any good free HDR testing content on it maybe? Or do I need to make room on my hard drive and run Red Dead Redemption 2 earlier than I planned on playing it (got it as a gift)?

Netsurfer733

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
I suppose before I let this go, I do want to know - the monitor does seem quite wobbly, which I largely attribute to my wobbly desk. But does the damage to the plastic covering in the stand contribute to that by chance? I think structurally that doesn't make sense, but I'd love for you guys to double check me on that:

View: https://imgur.com/a/gBNeg9Q

Anyone know if this might have gotten too damaged? Or is this really just superficial?

Netsurfer733

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
I think today or so is the last day to return this and I just realized, is that 240hz flickering problem only visible with nvidia series 20xx + cards? I only have a 1080ti but I intend to upgrade before long.