[SOLVED] How to check if psu if working on RM750x (zero rpm mode)

Sep 19, 2020
Edit:
Solved. A PSU from a different computer was used to test and everything works. The seller has been contacted.

Check reply to first reply for info

There have been some errors with my system and I suspect that the PSU might not be working. Because of zero rpm, I am unable to test using the paperclip method. Any other ways I can see if the problem is caused by the PSU?

I have a multimeter if that is needed.

also, how do I change my username? I made a typo and cant seem to find any options. apparently you need a mod to change is for you. How do I doe that?

Last edited:
Solution
During usage, the breaker for the wall outlets popped and when power was back on the pc couldn't turn on. After checking there doesn't seem to be any obvious cause to the breaker popping and why the pc can no longer turn, making me think that the problem might have to do with the PSU.
Well maybe get a spare PSU to test it and if it works send it back or keep it. i mean there is not really a way to see if your PSU is working. worst case would be that your whole system got fried during that but lets all just hope thats not the case. So get a new PSU plug in and see if everything is working, if yes = PSU Dead if not you can start worrying and checking every component for damage.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
If you have "some errors with your system" then PSU is working, you can't test it yourself if it's working properly (i.e voltage is stable and ripple is low for example) but i bet your issues have nothing to do with a PSU. What are these issues anyway ?

Sep 19, 2020
Hi protocaol_3.

What kind of errors are you having with your system?
Sorry, should have included more details.
During usage, the breaker for the wall outlets popped and when power was back on the pc couldn't turn on. After checking there doesn't seem to be any obvious cause to the breaker popping and why the pc can no longer turn, making me think that the problem might have to do with the PSU.
I want to check to see if the psu is working so I'll have an idea on the origin of the problem.
P.S. New build, been running for only around 2 hours before breaker popped.

Sep 19, 2020
If you have "some errors with your system" then PSU is working, you can't test it yourself if it's working properly (i.e voltage is stable and ripple is low for example) but i bet your issues have nothing to do with a PSU. What are these issues anyway ?
Sorry for bad explanation. Please see reply to first replier for more details

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Well maybe get a spare PSU to test it and if it works send it back or keep it. i mean there is not really a way to see if your PSU is working. worst case would be that your whole system got fried during that but lets all just hope thats not the case. So get a new PSU plug in and see if everything is working, if yes = PSU Dead if not you can start worrying and checking every component for damage.

Solution
Sep 19, 2020
I have another desktop pc with a 450w psu but not to sure if it will work. ill have a look and hope that it's just the power suply.

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
I have another desktop pc with a 450w psu but not to sure if it will work. ill have a look and hope that it's just the power suply.
If your other PC is bearable try putting your "maybe broken" PSU in your Old PC before risking anything funny with the new PC and all the parts. I think that would be a smarter way around

Sep 19, 2020
If your other PC is bearable try putting your "maybe broken" PSU in your Old PC before risking anything funny with the new PC and all the parts. I think that would be a smarter way around
Old pc is in use. The main concern is compatibility with mobo power. Old pc (around 2-3year old) has a antec psu (non modular i think) and is a pre build (or built be my mother's co-worker, but I'm not sure) it had a older asus mobo (h - something.) and I'm using a 24 pin asus prime z380p

Last edited:

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Old pc is in use. The main concern is compatibility with mobo power. Old pc (around 2-3year old) has a antec psu (non modular i think) and is a pre build (or built be my mother's co-worker, but I'm not sure) it had a older asus mobo (b - something. names was quite long) and I'm using a 24 pin asus prime z380p
Well PSU is PSU right, doesnt have to be modular in order to work, 24pin has been in use for the last decade, unplug your moms PC, (maybe take out the harddrive before). Plug your PSU in and try to boot or atleast get into bios to see if yours is working

Sep 19, 2020
Well PSU is PSU right, doesnt have to be modular in order to work, 24pin has been in use for the last decade, unplug your moms PC, (maybe take out the harddrive before). Plug your PSU in and try to boot or atleast get into bios to see if yours is working
As a general question, does a 20pin power cable work on a 24pin mobo?

Sorry, should have included more details.
I want to check to see if the psu is working so I'll have an idea on the origin of the problem.
P.S. New build, been running for only around 2 hours before breaker popped.

Did you flip the switch on the PSU off, wait a few minutes, and then turn it back on again?

You can test the PSU itself with a paper clip: http://jongerow.com/PSU_test/index.html

Since the PSU has zero RPM fan mode, you're going to want to plug a fan or a hard drive into one of the Molex to see if it spins with the paper clip installed.

Sep 19, 2020
Damn that could be a bit hard yes, well then maybe try getting a PSU just for testing, buy one of amazon and send it back if you still have the issues or keep it if the PSU was the issue, last thing i could think of tbh
I've contacted the seller of the PSU. Waiting for a reply from them to see what I should do next.