Question How to check if PSU is undersupplying?

May 19, 2022
Hi everyone,

So I have a 750W PSU: "Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Platinum", and based on all the PSU calculators, it 'should' be enough to run my computer by a fair amount.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-12700K
RAM: 4 x 8 GB Corsair DDR4
MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4
GPU: Asus TUF GAMING 3070 Ti
FANS: 3 x 120mm
SSD: 2 x SATA SSD 2.5"
HDD: 1 x 7200 RPM
MONITORS: 3 x 27" 1440P LED

Based on that most of the calculators recommed around 650W (however one did say 860W), so I am trying to determine if:
  1. My 750W PSU actually enough for those specs
  2. Is there a way determine if my PSU is failing to supply 750W, or my cables are bad and not supplying the expected W the MOBO, CPU or GPU correctly?
I ask because under a Cinebench R23 Load my CPU sits at 4700 MHz physical core and 3600 MHz e-core with temperatures around the 80 degrees celcius package and 70 degrees e-cores, which I believe is lower than the advertised speeds on Intel's website.

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Rezoken

Ralston18

Titan
How old is the PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or bit-mining?

You can use a Kill-A-Watt meter to monitor power use.

Kill-A-Watt (Amazon Link)

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it you can do some limited testing. Otherwise find a family member or friend who can help.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a wattage test and not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance would be of concern.

Hi everyone,

So I have a 750W PSU: "Seasonic FOCUS Plus 750 Platinum", and based on all the PSU calculators, it 'should' be enough to run my computer by a fair amount.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-12700K
RAM: 4 x 8 GB Corsair DDR4
MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4
GPU: Asus TUF GAMING 3070 Ti
FANS: 3 x 120mm
SSD: 2 x SATA SSD 2.5"
HDD: 1 x 7200 RPM
MONITORS: 3 x 27" 1440P LED

Based on that most of the calculators recommed around 650W (however one did say 860W), so I am trying to determine if:
  1. My 750W PSU actually enough for those specs
  2. Is there a way determine if my PSU is failing to supply 750W, or my cables are bad and not supplying the expected W the MOBO, CPU or GPU correctly?
I ask because under a Cinebench R23 Load my CPU sits at 4700 MHz physical core and 3600 MHz e-core with temperatures around the 80 degrees celcius package and 70 degrees e-cores, which I believe is lower than the advertised speeds on Intel's website.

Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Rezoken
The max boost on Intel is for a single core so you are not doing bad. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2700k-processor-25m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html
Why you come to the conclusion that it is the PSU I do not understand. If under powered the system would shut down.

May 19, 2022
The max boost on Intel is for a single core so you are not doing bad. https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2700k-processor-25m-cache-up-to-5-00-ghz.html
Why you come to the conclusion that it is the PSU I do not understand. If under powered the system would shut down.

I had seen some codes on my GPU that it was throttling (mind you know was when I was attempting a GPU overclock) that I was getting GPU Power Limitations.

I also saw my vcore and my VID is relatively low, at around 1.18-1.19, which I thought out of the box the 12th gen's were more at like 1.3?

It might be my misunderstanding and just jumping the gun, but kind of coupled them together.

I had seen some codes on my GPU that it was throttling (mind you know was when I was attempting a GPU overclock) that I was getting GPU Power Limitations.

I also saw my vcore and my VID is relatively low, at around 1.18-1.19, which I thought out of the box the 12th gen's were more at like 1.3?

It might be my misunderstanding and just jumping the gun, but kind of coupled them together.
That would be settings on GPU and motherboard BIOS respectively.