Question How to check laptop parts compatibilty?

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

Just a general question regarding upgrading laptops - what is the best way to check if components/parts (e.g. SSD and RAM) are compatible with a laptop? What's the best way to check and look this up (for Asus laptops)?

Thank you very much.

Ralston18

Titan
Look for the laptop's User Guide/Manual.

Likely found online via the Asus website. Be sure that the website is really ASUS versus just having "asus" in the URL.

There should be some listing of supported components relevant to the laptop.

SSD's are generally not a problem - but confirm anyway.

= = = =

RAM is more involved and any new RAM must 1) be supported by the laptop and, 2) match other RAM modules that are installed.

You may need a kit of RAM modules for dual channel use.

Check the various RAM manufacturer's. Enter the make, model, and version of the laptop.

The manufacturer's will then provide a listing of "compatible" RAM with specs etc..

However, be very sure to look for a consensus regarding RAM specs and and that any given RAM product is explicitly supported by Asus

Details matter.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Mar 21, 2023
Hi,

To ensure compatibility, consider these helpful tips:

1. Consult Your Laptop's Manual or Specifications Sheet: The simplest approach to determine compatibility is to read the information provided in your laptop's manual or specifications sheet. These documents typically include details on the type of compatible RAM and SSD for your laptop.
  2. Visit the Manufacturer's Website: Another option is to visit the manufacturer's website, where you can search for your laptop model. Most manufacturers maintain a support section with details on compatible parts.
  3. Use Online Compatibility Checkers: There are numerous online compatibility checkers that can help you determine if a specific component is compatible with your laptop. Websites like Crucial and Kingston are popular choices. By entering your laptop's make and model, these websites will provide a list of compatible parts.

Keeping Asus laptops in mind, you can check their website for assistance and compatibility information. By navigating to the product support section and entering your laptop model, you can obtain pertinent information.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi,

To ensure compatibility, consider these helpful tips:

1. Consult Your Laptop's Manual or Specifications Sheet: The simplest approach to determine compatibility is to read the information provided in your laptop's manual or specifications sheet. These documents typically include details on the type of compatible RAM and SSD for your laptop.
  2. Visit the Manufacturer's Website: Another option is to visit the manufacturer's website, where you can search for your laptop model. Most manufacturers maintain a support section with details on compatible parts.
  3. Use Online Compatibility Checkers: There are numerous online compatibility checkers that can help you determine if a specific component is compatible with your laptop. Websites like Crucial and Kingston are popular choices. By entering your laptop's make and model, these websites will provide a list of compatible parts.
Keeping Asus laptops in mind, you can check their website for assistance and compatibility information. By navigating to the product support section and entering your laptop model, you can obtain pertinent information.

Thank you Emmaphoto for those great tips!

I looked up the laptop's manual and support page (here: https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/ux510ux/helpdesk_manual/) but unfortunately it did mention anything about compatible components and upgrades. Is there a specific page from Asus with details on compatible parts (for Asus Zenbook UX510UXK)?

The compatibility checkers from Crucial and Kingston were helpful, thank you! Are there any others you might suggest/recommend using (would be great if Asus have similar)?

On a side note, if you install two RAM modules, must they be exactly the same (brand, model etc)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 21, 2023
Thank you Emmaphoto for those great tips!

I looked up the laptop's manual and support page (here: https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/ux510ux/helpdesk_manual/) but unfortunately it did mention anything about compatible components and upgrades. Is there a specific page from Asus with details on compatible parts (for Asus Zenbook UX510UXK)?

The compatibility checkers from Crucial and Kingston were helpful, thank you! Are there any others you might suggest/recommend using (would be great if Asus have similar)?

On a side note, if you install two RAM modules, must they be exactly the same (brand, model etc)?

I'm glad to hear that my tips were helpful to you.

Unfortunately, manufacturers don't always provide a lot of details on compatible components and upgrades. That being said, it might be worth reaching out to Asus customer support directly to ask for any specific information on compatible parts for the Zenbook UX510UXK. They may be able to provide you with more insight.

When it comes to compatibility checkers, I recommend using the online tool provided by the RAM manufacturer you're considering. For instance, if you're thinking about getting Corsair RAM, check out their compatibility checker to determine if the RAM is compatible with your laptop. It's always a good idea to double-check with multiple sources to make sure that everything will work together.

As for mixing RAM brands and models, it's generally best to use identical modules for best results. However, if you choose to use two different RAM modules, make sure their specs are compatible. Check if the speed, timings, and capacity are the same or similar. Keep in mind that mixing RAM brands and models can sometimes cause compatibility issues and may result in unstable performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Thank you Emmaphoto!

That's a good idea about contacting Asus directly about components. I was wondering, is it safe/secure to communicate laptop serial number over the Internet (unencrypted) if they ask for this?

Regarding RAM, are there any manufacturers that you personally might favour when buying those components? For example, any preference between Crucial, Corsair, Kingston (and possibly Integral)?

I noticed one of my laptops has the following RAM (this is how it was new when purchased):

SODIMM DDR3 1867 MHz, 4GB (Micron)
SODIMM DDR3 1600 MHz, 4GB (Samsung)

So it seems the above has different clocking speeds and manufacturers. Is this fine?

Thanks again and hope you have a good weekend

Mar 21, 2023
Sharing your laptop's serial number with a manufacturer or customer support representative is typically pretty safe. However, it's always best to confirm that you are dealing with a genuine representative. If you're uncertain, the company's official website or customer support channels are always available to clarify your inquiries.

In terms of RAM manufacturers, the ones you mentioned are all well-respected brands with high-quality products. Understandably, personal preferences differ, but all of these brands have a reputation for producing dependable and compatible RAM modules. To pinpoint the best RAM for your laptop, it's important to conduct extensive research and read reviews.

When it comes to the RAM in your laptop, it's not ideal to blend different clock speeds or manufacturers. While it may work in certain circumstances, it can cause compatibility problems and may hinder your laptop's performance. For optimal results, it's recommended that you use the same RAM modules – or those with very similar specifications.

I hope this information comes in handy!

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Sharing your laptop's serial number with a manufacturer or customer support representative is typically pretty safe. However, it's always best to confirm that you are dealing with a genuine representative. If you're uncertain, the company's official website or customer support channels are always available to clarify your inquiries.

In terms of RAM manufacturers, the ones you mentioned are all well-respected brands with high-quality products. Understandably, personal preferences differ, but all of these brands have a reputation for producing dependable and compatible RAM modules. To pinpoint the best RAM for your laptop, it's important to conduct extensive research and read reviews.

When it comes to the RAM in your laptop, it's not ideal to blend different clock speeds or manufacturers. While it may work in certain circumstances, it can cause compatibility problems and may hinder your laptop's performance. For optimal results, it's recommended that you use the same RAM modules – or those with very similar specifications.

I hope this information comes in handy!
Thank you very much Emmaphoto!
Just going back quickly to the question about communicating the laptop serial number to the manufacturer customer support - what might be a secure way to do this? And I was wondering, what is the main security/privacy issue with people (with bad intentions) finding out your laptop serial number? Can they do anything with it? Thank you.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi again Emmaphoto,

I just had one last question... Would both of these SSD drives be compatible for the Zenbook UX510UXK laptop?

Crucial BX500 480GB CT480BX500SSD1
Crucial MX500 500 GB CT500MX500SSD1 (I saw this was listed, but not the one above)

Thank you!

Mar 21, 2023
You can use both the Crucial BX500 480GB CT480BX500SSD1 and the Crucial MX500 500 GB CT500MX500SSD1 SSD drives on your Zenbook UX510UXK laptop.

The main difference between the two SSD drives is performance and warranty. The MX500 offers faster performance and a longer warranty than the BX500. Nonetheless, you can install either SSD drive on your device without any hitches.