How to Choose the Best X470 Motherboard for Your Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Not a word on VRM? This is the most important thing with Ryzen series. 8 cores require a lot of power and cheap VRMs will melt over time under such stress...

TheTerk

Contributing Writer
Editor
Nov 23, 2009
www.twitch.tv
We talk a lot about VRMs in this article, but they are referred to as Vregs. VRM stands for Voltage Regulator Module, and since we are not talking about the actual component choices but rather the designs, we use the term Vreg. A "module" also implies it is swappable, i.e. a memory module, TPM module, etc

Thanks guys for the comments! @jpe hit me up on Discord and we can talk about how to compare PBO across boards

Jul 29, 2018
The Asrock X470 Taichi Ultimate is a 12+4 phase desing. At 20w power loss its does 210 amps and the asus crosshair can do 250amps at the same power loss asus also has the better bios. So asus is way better in every situation Also the Asus x470 prime pro is a 6+4phase as pointed out by ADRENB.
Only motherboards that are worth getting are Asus Crosshair VII, Asus strix X470-f gaming, Asus x470 prime pro amd the msi X470 gaming plus. Who the fuck makes these. Go sub to Actual hardcore overclocking in youtube he has great videos about the am4 motherboards

TheTerk

Contributing Writer
Editor
Nov 23, 2009
www.twitch.tv
Thanks for the comments Valto. I'm currently digging through all of this VRM/Vreg mess to help better cover these things in my reviews.
However, don't quote other websites and YouTuber's opinions as the gospel. At a component level, it's easy to get lost in spec sheets about "amps" and "power loss" without applying perspective and actual use cases. Components are important, don't get us wrong, but sometimes the best regulator designs can't overclock a dud processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.