How to clean thermal paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2001blader

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I removed my CPU cooler and need to redo thermal paste to put it back. I have new thermal paste, but how do I clean off the CPU and cooler? I want to use something dry if possible. Also please mention hings that I already have.

Solution
99% IPA (Rubbing Alcohol) and a coffee filter. The point is the IPA will evaporate, and the coffee filter will not leave debris on the CPU surface. A q-tip and IPA will be a good choice too, just don't use water.
Also don't use one of those "organic" coffee filters, just the bleached white kind.

Benevolence

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
99% IPA (Rubbing Alcohol) and a coffee filter. The point is the IPA will evaporate, and the coffee filter will not leave debris on the CPU surface. A q-tip and IPA will be a good choice too, just don't use water.
Also don't use one of those "organic" coffee filters, just the bleached white kind.

Reactions: docbooth
Solution

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009

Acetone, isopropyl alcohol, rubbing alcohol or ethanol should do the trick with either a lint free cloth or a q-tip. The purer the solution the better.

Please ensure that the system is off (obviously) and the CPU and heatsink are not hot to the touch.

you sure the acetone is ok?

isopropyl alcohol 90%+ also known as rubbing alcohol. is the best way. it leaves no residue behind to give the best possible contact between the paste and metal.
using water, ethanol, acetone will leave a residue and acetone will corrode the surface of a nickel plated cooler.
dont use wet wipes as they leave a perfume residue... yes if you can smell it theres perfume still on it.

TryHardVermin

Honorable
Sep 22, 2013

Why can't you sue the organic coffee filters?

docbooth

Reputable
Dec 5, 2018

Acetone, isopropyl alcohol, rubbing alcohol or ethanol should do the trick with either a lint free cloth or a q-tip. The purer the solution the better.

Please ensure that the system is off (obviously) and the CPU and heatsink are not hot to the touch.
"Acetone"!!! Little aggressive, kinda like taking a machine gun to an archery competition. I compliment you on the rest of your suggestion. I can see acetone's controlled use in unique circumstances such as antique restoration or fire recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.