Question How to cleanup or safe guard my personal info when dropping my PC off at a repair shop?

David6789

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2015
How to cleanup or safe guard my personal info when dropping my PC off at a repair shop?

I need to drop off my Windows 10 PC at the repair shop to get some fans replaces, fix a broken USB port and a thorough cleaning. I do not want some tech digging through my personal info or gaining access to anything I don't want them to access.

Useful info:
Windows 10 PC
I use a Microsoft account logon to get on the PC. (pin number)

If all you're asking them to do is that, then remove the storage drives. They don't need them to test to see if the fans are working. And if they want to verify the USB port is working, assuming they're just replacing the port, you can bring the drive back to verify it works when you pick it up.

Otherwise move all of your data onto another storage drive and make a local user account. They don't need the account you use to log into Windows to test the USB port.

Reactions: PEnns

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
That's why many recommend that the boot drive has Windows on it and literally nothing else.

All the data / documents / photos, etc should be on the D drive that one could easily remove for such cases.

As to using a pin number, I personally create another one just for such cases (I call it something like TechSup, and NOT linked to my Microsoft account.) and never have to give my own pin to anyone..

David6789

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2015
If all you're asking them to do is that, then remove the storage drives. They don't need them to test to see if the fans are working. And if they want to verify the USB port is working, assuming they're just replacing the port, you can bring the drive back to verify it works when you pick it up.

Otherwise move all of your data onto another storage drive and make a local user account. They don't need the account you use to log into Windows to test the USB port.
Does the local account need to be an admin account or just a user?