How to clear cmos on Asus P8P67 Deluxe

Jun 6, 2018
Hi all, I have just joined here hoping ya'll can help me with future endeavours with pc's.

I have just bought a couple of i5-3570k cpu's and 2 Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboards, all from different sellers. I saw a youtube video saying I should clear the cmos if I am using 2nd hand motherboards to reset the bios to default settings so there would not be any incompatibility issues if I used different cpu's to previously installed units.

On my Deluxe boards, there is a black tactile button just above the audio socket cluster which I have think is a clear cmos button, I can't find the jumper post anywhere.

How do I clear the cmos? Do I turn on the pc, keep the button held down till a screen shows up or something? Shall I change the battery for new ones also?

Thanks for your kind words and welcome.

Jun 6, 2018
Hi zyh1987, thanks for the reply, however, upon looking at the instruction on page 2-19, it say there is a jumper on the bottom right corner, by the square chip, in the manual, however, on the board, I don't have that.

The diagram of the overview of the board, page 2-2, doesn't show the clear cmos button, which on my board is located on the left hand side, in the gap between the LAN1_USB3_12 and the AUDIO block.

Jun 6, 2018

There aren't really instructions on how to clear the cmos, it just says , ' Press the clear cmos switch to clear BIOS setup when the system hangs due to overclocking.'

It doesn't say to do it prior to initial usage. Do I press the button while the pc is firing up, hold the button down or press once etc. It doesn't say.

Jun 6, 2018
Just got this reply from ASUS customer services -

Thank you for contacting ASUS Support. My name is Arsen.

I understand that you want to know how to do a CMOS reset on your device.

In this case I recommend you make a CMOS reset of the BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery for 3-5 minutes while the PSU is unplugged. While the power cord from the PSU is still unplugged, press the power button down for 30 seconds to power discharge the unit.

Then place the CMOS battery back in, plug in the PSU and try again.

After this go into the BIOS > Advanced Menu > APM Configuration, from here set the ERP Ready to Enabled S4 + S5 or Enabled S5 and set the Restore AC Power Loss to Last State and test the motherboard again.

So yes, removing the battery will clear the cmos, hopefully, but not just take it out and stick it back in, I have to pull out the power cable, then take out the battery, and then put the battery back in after 5 mins, and then hold the ower button down to discharge residual charge in the system.

I shall give it a go when the ssd's arrive.

damnbuoy

Reputable
Jun 6, 2018

Just reinserting battery works, no need to follow the tech supports additional fancy steps.

TRENDING THREADS