How to clear HDD without clearing OS?

Cullen_1

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
Is it possible to clear hard drive without having to reinstall my OS?
I don't have the activation key as I bought my PC pre-built from a company 3 years ago.
OS is windows 8.1 by the way, thanks

Cullen_1

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016

Not sure as I don't even know what that is... but if I do go through with clearing my HDD and it asks for an activation code for WIN8 (since places near me don't sell it anymore), can I just buy a WIN10 code and enter it in there and install 10 instead?

1. When you use the expression "clear (my) hard drive", what exactly does that mean? Are you referring to deleting all the programs you installed on the PC, and including your personal data, photos, audio-visual material, etc.; what?

2. So all you want remaining on the drive is your Win 8.1 OS so that you can boot to that OS? Is that it?

3. Assuming the above is correct, what is the purpose of this exercise? Is it that all you're interested in is starting with a "clean slate", so to speak, with only the OS installed so that the drive is bootable? Is that what this is all about?

4. You can install Win 8.1 using Microsoft's Media Creation Tool - see...
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8
You will need your OS's product key...if you don't know it see...
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html for their ProduKey which we've found to be a reliable product for displaying the ProductID.

Cullen_1

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016

1. Yes that's what I'm meaning
2. Yeah I have nothing of importance on here besides driver programs which I can reinstall
3. Plenty of games aren't running at all, it's a gaming PC, tried uninstalling and reinstalling the games but thats not working, so I feel like it's something else causing the issue and that having a clear start would work, I'd just have to reinstall my games but I wont have to repay and I'm willing to do that overnight