Question How to Clear Old HDD Notice

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I noticed in SeaTools that my Seagate Iron Wolf gives me a notice stating that "SMART over-all health passed, but at least one of the SMART attributes breached the threshold in the past."

I checked the log, and the error is coming from the "Air Flow Temperature - Failed in the Past."

So I tried moving that drive from the slot underneath in my case to the open-air spot up front by the fans, to make sure it's getting more air-flow. But the notice still persists in SeaTools. I'm not even sure if this happened recently, or on my old system (where this drive originally was housed) and it just saved it from the past.

Is there a way to clear/reseat this attribute, so I can get an updated reading to see if the air flow is good now?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
No.
Erasing SMART data is not a user thing.

The drive has a yellow exclamation/error notice on it, and I get this pop up notification about the old issue every time I load the program. Now that I've corrected the air-flow issue, is that not something I can correct (to see if it's now getting better air flow)? Seems like it should refresh somehow. I just need to force it to take a new reading.

Is there a way to clear/reseat this attribute, so I can get an updated reading to see if the air flow is good now?
No. You can't. It's by design.
The drive has a yellow exclamation/error notice on it, and I get this pop up notification about the old issue every time I load the program.
What program is that?
May be use a different program, that doesn't do that.

Anyway, if the problem bothers you so much and you absolutely have to use this particular program,
then get a new HDD.

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
No. You can't. It's by design.

What program is that?
May be use a different program, that doesn't do that.

Anyway, if the problem bothers you so much and you absolutely have to use this particular program,
then get a new HDD.

It's SeaTools. I wouldn't say it bothers me. Just trying to make sure I'm not on the door step of a major hard drive problem (since this one if fairly new), or if this is just a false alarm over a non-issue error that is now "baked into the cake." I'm gonna run some more scans and report back.

USAFRet

Titan
It's SeaTools. I wouldn't say it bothers me. Just trying to make sure I'm not on the door step of a major hard drive problem (since this one if fairly new), or if this is just a false alarm over a non-issue error that is now "baked into the cake." I'm gonna run some more scans and report back.
Possibly it will go off in a few On/Off cycles and readings.

But it is nothing you can influence via DIY.

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
Someone else explained this (and the reason it can't be cleared) is like a patients' medical history at the doctor. Something you wanna know about but not forget entirely. So that's a great way of explaining it.

I would say that I hope SMART data like this gets a little "smarter" in the future. I mean, if they had just time stamped the error, it would have cleared up so much confusion very easily. Something a doctor would ask their patient like "I see you had an isolated incident once 10 years ago and no knew instances...this is no real cause for concern."

Thanks for all the helpful info all!

USAFRet

Titan
Someone else explained this (and the reason it can't be cleared) is like a patients' medical history at the doctor. Something you wanna know about but not forget entirely. So that's a great way of explaining it.
Also, if it was easy to clear...Someone could have a faulty/failing drive, clear those values, and advertise it for sale as "Perfect! No faults!"