[SOLVED] How to clone the system disk?

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
I wonder, ...I have a system disk that has become a bit small. Is it possible to "copy" this disk to a bigger one, without getting a lot of bugs on the system?

Will the PC-name/mac-address in networks still be the same? (...motherboard dependent???)

What software will work for doing such operation?

Solution
What are the specific drives involved here? Make/model/size?
What OS are you working with?
Laptop or desktop?

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to...
Yes you can use cloning software. I like https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree. You will need either an external HDD with free space larger then what you you want to copy, or the easier method and buy yourself a USB HDD dock https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Exte...4?keywords=usb+hdd+dock&qid=1579862611&sr=8-4 or USB to SATA adapter https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-SATA-USB-Cable-USB3S2SAT3CB/dp/B00HJZJI84 and simply go from the drive you want to copy to the new drive (note with an adapter if its anything other then a laptop 2.5 inch drive you will need an external powered one to provide enough power as USB wont). This method is what I did and it was quite simple. You could also buy a cheap USB HDD enclosure which are usually under 10 USD.
If you go to a larger size disk after the cloning you will then need to allocate the free space to your drive partitions via windows Disk Management.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LClr3FPg4_4

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
I wonder, ...I have a system disk that has become a bit small. Is it possible to "copy" this disk to a bigger one, without getting a lot of bugs on the system?

Will the PC-name/mac-address in networks still be the same? (...motherboard dependent???)

What software will work for doing such operation?
You will need to use a cloning software, as simply selecting all and copying it to another drive will not work.

USAFRet

Titan
What are the specific drives involved here? Make/model/size?
What OS are you working with?
Laptop or desktop?

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
I'll might try this one, since the disk is a Samsung. I don't mind purchasing another Samsung :)

I downloaded the manual, and it looks rather straight forward...

Anyone know if a disk cloning such as this will interfere with the PC's identity in local network?

For now, thanks to all of you for good tips... (y)
In just changing the drive, there are no implications of identity, licensing, whatever.
You are just moving the thing from one drive to another.

Macrium Reflect, or Samsung Data Migration.

It works, I've used both to the same result.
Follow the steps above exactly.

Reactions: aaad

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Macrium Reflect's 30 day free trial relates to the usage of the pay-for version for 30 days, then, if no license or license pack is purchased, the pay-for version drops back to being only the free version. Fully functional except Incremental is turned off, Guardian is turned off.

Reactions: aaad

aaad

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2014
Fully functional except Incremental is turned off, Guardian is turned off.
OK, I'll keep that in mind, if need for cloning operations of non Samsung disks. I have a couple of upgraded retro laptops at home (...with docking for disk in CD-tray), that could have need for a larger system disk I believe... :giggle:

USAFRet

Titan
OK, I'll keep that in mind, if need for cloning operations of non Samsung disks. I have a couple of upgraded retro laptops at home (...with docking for disk in CD-tray), that could have need for a larger system disk I believe... :giggle:
I use Macrium on all my systems.
Paid version on my main system, free on all the others.

Paid, because this is one of those applications that IS good enough to move up from 'free'.