Question How to close the gap between IHS and heat sink after deliding.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
I was going to delid my i9 10900k in my Area 51m r2. Then i was i thinking; when you delid since the IHS is now lower then the heat sink potentially might not make contact with the IHS. Can i get any thoughts on this matter? On a desktop you could adjust the height but i can't seem to find any articles on how to close the gap in the Area 51m r2.

they are not bad at all but i'm the type of guy that likes to tinker with electronics on some of my spare time and make them better one way or another.
If this is all for tinkering, and not some last ditch effort for better temps, then by all means give it a shot and let us know how it goes (with pictures). Its certainly going to be a lot of work, hence the line of questioning making sure you were confident in your decision.

rustedmetal

Reputable
Sep 30, 2018
Socketable cpu is a socketable cpu, can't see them being much different in construction physically from any other socketable 10900k cpu just because it's in a laptop.
Socketable cpu is a socketable cpu, can't see them being much different in construction physically from any other socketable 10900k cpu just because it's in a laptop.
that doesn't seem to affect the matter at hand, i'll see if i can figure something out.