How to config SSD for OS and apps and HDD or bulk data repository?

RationalExuberance

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016
Hello, I’m ready to build a new PC and have several HDDs that I want to transfer from my existing rig, which has no SSD. New machine will incorporate an SSD as the bootable drive and I plan to install at least some apps on it, for quick loading.

My question is, once I’ve installed Win 7 (I’m not yet ready to go to Win 10) on the SSD how do I configure the system to specify that my Libraries (Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures) and Downloads directories are resident on one of the HDDs (e.g., Drive D:) rather than the SSD (Drive C:)?

Without having already played with this, it seems to me that Windows will naturally try to locate the subdirectories that contain the Libraries and Downloads data on Drive C:, i.e., the bootable SSD, rather than another physical drive.

I’ve looked around a few forums but haven’t seen this particular question asked or answered. But it must be an often asked question with a straightforward answer, since isn’t the whole idea to locate the OS and apps on the SSD for quick launching, with bulk data (which for me is almost exclusively in the Libraries) located on larger-capacity HDD devices? There must be some way to set this up in Win 7. Please tell me how to proceed.

Thanks in advance! I’m happy to provide additional info on the hardware. I’ve specified most of it but still haven’t picked out an SSD, since I want an answer to this question before I commit to an SSD+HDD config and truly understand its benefits. I haven’t purchased any components yet, so I still have flexibility to make changes in the Bill of Materials.

USAFRet

Titan
This was written just for you:

Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

Steam games location:
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
5RXQa0Y.jpg

PaulBlack

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
i custom pick each game too so i have Bf1 and overwatch and r6seige and other games i want to be semi pro at on the SSD's and I use that steam thing also to select each game a location depending on how important load times are too me. Its a huge advantage in bf1 and overwatch to spawn first and pick the tank or the character you want before the none SSD people get the rest.

1. Well the easiest way, to my eyes, is what all of our users have done for 25 years and ignore Program Files and My Documents. Never used ProgramFiles directory ...

D:\Adobe
D:\Adobe\Acrobat
D:\Adobe\LifeCycle
D:\Adobe\Distiller
D:\Adobe\PhotoShop
D:\Adobe\Acrobat\Pagemaker

or My Documents

E:\CAD Drawings
E:\CAD Drawings\Project 101
E:\CAD Drawings\Project 101\JobNo 01
E:\CAD Drawings\Project 101\JobNo 02

2. How to proceed from there depends on the size of the SSD.

3. For A 120 GB SSD, we would put the OS only on C... but nowadays, we don't do builds w/ less then 250 GB SSDs

4. Again we come to a decision point with regard to "mission critical" ... is your usage scenario such that you can't afford to have PC down ? I'll assume yes, and if that doesn't apply you can skip this step.

5. So on that SSD goes the OS and all the things we can't live without ... drivers, utilities, important applications. These are installed with all other writable SATA devices unplugged

6. Next we install the SSHD (haven't installed a HD in 6 years)....SSD doesn't really do anything for ya if the things ya use everyday are mostly on the HD....The 1st partition on the SSHD is a duplicate of the SSD.... if SSD goes south, we can still get instant access to all data but just selecting alternate boot in BIOS screen. So we disconnect the SSD cable and connect the SSHD cable and repeat the install procedure .... or image the SSD to the SSHD after creating an identical 250 GB partition

7. After that we divide up the rest of the SSHD as per user desires ... say Games, Work Stuff, Personal Stuff or whatever suits your liking. There's is no wrong way to do it other than using what suits someone else rather than you

8. If you want to have the old MS weird logic (documents, pictures, etc) functionality of "my stuff", then you can google hundreds of SSD setup guides

RationalExuberance

Commendable
Dec 31, 2016

Makes sense, thanks for the marker on SSD size!

TRENDING THREADS