Question How to configue an ASUS ACRT68U via ethernet with provider gateway

Sep 8, 2023
Purpose: I have a Calix fiber gateway with auto configured band steering. It cannot be disable or re-configured. I want autonomy over devices in my home and what bands they use specifically (and more specifically the channels I need).

I posted a query about what unit would be best for “daisy chaining” via Ethernet. I bought an ASUS 68U. Although I am tech savvy in some areas, the initial configuration of the ASUS is where I will need a hand.

I believe it’s disabling the DHCP in the ASUS that is what is needed first, and then the rest is academic (I hope). Getting it connected correctly is the key, once it’s done, I can go in and set the static band channels for the 2.4 and 5ghz to my liking which will address my device needs.

A succinct primer is helpful. Initial connection that sets the ASUS as the wifi device that serves my home is what I am looking for. Once it’s in control, I can forget using the Calix wifi.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

You may ask, why the necessity of this? My smart TV’s which are NOT configurable only operate on a specific channel in the 5 GHz band. So the answer I received here was to connect another router that IS configurable to the providers unit, and I can do what I want. Plus, the consensus does say that the 2.4 is prone to interference, although I have one lone device (printer) which uses it. Nonetheless I want to utilize the 5 for my TV’s. This arrangement will provide it.

Pretty much you set the asus in AP mode and then plug the wan cable on the asus to your ISP router.

I forget if asus changes the default lan IP. This is only used to manage the device when it is in AP mode. If it does not just change it to a IP that does not conflict with your main router.

You might want to turn off the wifi radios in the ISP router if you are not going to use them, one less source of interference.

Note the reason a lot of routers have auto band stuff is there are a large number of radio bands in the 5ghz range that you are not allowed to manually set. The only way to use them is for the router to "auto" use them. The router will follow rules like if it detect weather radar it will either stop using the band or maybe drop the transmit power.

Sep 8, 2023
Thanks so much, I got one at auction just under $30 shipped. Took a couple of whacks at it, but finally followed the directions correctly, and now I have autonomy over my bands and devices.