Is there a BEST indoor HDTV OTA antenna that does not have to be stuck to a window?

fcar1999ta

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2014
I want to get an HDTV OTA antenna that I can just sit on the shelf under the TV, instead of having to run a wire over to a window. Is there one that is obviously better than others, or are the window ones really just the best option?

It all depends on your local circumstances....

Are your exterior walls facing in the general direction of the TV broadcasting antennas?

Are the broadcasting antennas 4 miles away or 40?

Weather?

As far as I know, there is little or no advantage to putting the antenna in a window as opposed to on a wall. It didn't matter at all in my case.

The cable connecting your antenna to your TV will likely be very sensitive to slight movements. Inches. Experiment. A given setup may have good reception for months on all channels and then need adjustment for no obvious reason...maybe due to the broadcasting antennas being fine-tuned or modified, weather, or unknown factors. Maybe your cat bumped into the cable and moved it a half inch.

It is just fussy, like "rabbit ears" antennas were 50 plus years ago.

Mine is tacked 7 feet high on a wall, a couple of feet from a window. The wall is on the west side of my residence. The broadcast antennas are about 25 miles farther west at about the same elevation. Semi "line of sight".

I do not know how critical it is to have my antenna on a wall facing the broadcast antennas. May not matter at all. Again....your local circumstances will dictate your results. It isn't highly predictable in advance. For all I know, I could tack my antenna on an east facing wall.

I never have to change that, but the cable connecting it to the TV has to be fiddled with a few times a year.

I run my antenna cable direct to my PC and watch all TV on my PC monitor via a Hauppage 1191 external TV tuner. I have not turned on my "television set" in over 5 years.

I have good luck with this, 42 bucks from Amazon 8 years ago.

Mohu MH-110583 Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna.

It is NOT an "amplified" antenna. I have heard that those are of minimal help unless you are a very long distance from the broadcast antennas. I am about 25 miles...in a major metro area.

I get around 50 channels via the antenna.

Your mileage will differ. All you can do is buy, experiment, and hope.

Last edited:

Latest posts