Question How to configure a TP-LINK TD-W8980 to work in WDS mode

Mar 31, 2021
Hi,

I have a Deco M5 network and I want to connect my OKI 511dn printer to it (It has no wireless capability, but does have an ethernet slot). It is too far away to connect via cable to an M5.

I'm trying to configure an old TP-LINK TD-W8980 I have to connect the printer to the M5 network. The configuration is M5 --->wireless ----> W8980 ----> cable -----> printer

I believe I can do this using WDS mode. I've followed instructions from the TP-LINK website to set up the W8980 for WDS mode. Note I have disabled DHCP on the TD-W8980 as specified.

Now the TD-W8980 is recognised on the M5 network. The printer connected to the TD-W8980 via an ethernet cable is not - I can't print to it. When I try to search for a printer on a networked windows10 laptop, it's not found.

I can see on the Deco app the MAC address of the W8980 is assigned to two IP addresses: the router itself; the static IP I assigned to the printer. Scanning the ports of the printer IP address shows the printer daemon is up. Further, If I enter the IP address of the printer in a browser, I get the printer status page.

What configuration changes can I make to get this to work?

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021
Hi,

I have a Deco M5 network. I have an OKI 511dn printer with an ethernet port. However, it's too far from the nearest M5 to run a cable.

I'm trying to configure a TP-LINK TD-W8980v1 to connect the printer to the network. The configuration I'm looking at is M5---> wireless ----> W8980 ----> ethernet cable -----> printer

I believe I can do this using WDS mode. I've followed instructions from the TP-LINK website to set up the W8980 for WDS mode. Note I have disabled DHCP on the TD-W8980 as specified. The W8980 is in router mode only.

Now the TD-W8980 is recognised on the M5 network. The printer connected to the TD-W8980 via an ethernet cable is not - I can't print to it. When I try to search for a printer on a windows10 laptop, it's not found.

I can see on the Deco app the MAC address of the W8980 is assigned to two IP addresses: the router itself; the static IP I assigned to the printer. Scanning the ports of the printer IP address shows the printer daemon is up. Further, If I enter the IP address of the printer in a browser, I get the printer status page.

What configuration changes can I make to get this to work?

Thanks