Question How to configure my router without the web interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 16, 2020
Hi, I have an ADSL Modem I can connect to it via telnet/SSH with a user account that has root privileges. But in the web interface of the modem I have only a user account with user privileges which doesn't allow me to configure some of its features. How could I configure the router/modem with telnet/SSH? or How could I make the web interface accept the same root user I use for telnet/SSH? Any help is very appreciated.

Modem: Huawei HG658 V2

Dec 16, 2020
Which features do you wanna configure?
Hi there and thank you for replying.

Mainly there's one important feature which is now causing the internet to be disconnected all the time. It's the connection settings. Right now, when I log in to the web interface with the user account and go to the Internet section, there are pre-configured internet connection but I cannot edit it. All I can do is to change the Account username and password and that's not enough. I need to change the VPI/VCI.

The second feature is the SNR. I want to decrease it so the ADSL line stays stable. Because right now it's disconnecting every 20 sec or so.

only your ISP/provider should configure such values
if it´s not working, get a support ticket from your provider. Eventually your modem is faulty or the external connection to your modem

You will need a custom firmware (if available) to get to this configuration tables using a web interface. The default firmware is not able to provide you these settings.

Dec 16, 2020
only your ISP/provider should configure such values
if it´s not working, get a support ticket from your provider. Eventually your modem is faulty or the external connection to your modem

You will need a custom firmware (if available) to get to this configuration tables using a web interface. The default firmware is not able to provide you these settings.
Actually, This is a custom firmware. The default firmware allows me to change the VPI/VCI and it was working but the adsl line wasn't stable due to the low snr margin. So I upgraded to a custom firmware with telnet/ssh enabled hoping that it will allow me to change the snr values. Well it enabled the telnet/ssh but I couldn't figure out how to do it. This custom firmware comes with only one user account for the web interface which does not allow changing the VPI/VCI. I tried to revert back to the default firmware but it refused the operation. Now I'm stuck with this custom firmware which is okay but I need to figure out how to change the VPI/VCI values using the telnet/ssh. (changing these vaule from web interface is so easy when you have the right privileges).

Dec 16, 2020
try a different custom firmware or revert the firmware with telnet

which firmware is on it now?
I am now using the telnet-enabled custom firmware. But I can't revert to the default one because when I do the web interface says: Upgrade failed. Please choose the correct file.
When the default firmware was installed I was able to move from firmware to firmware until I upgraded to this custom one. It doesn't allow me to upgrade to any other firmware (I tried many).

Dec 16, 2020
This is the default Huawei account. (Username:!!Huawei/Password:mad:HuaweiHgw).
It was working in the web interface when I was using the default firmware. But not with the custom firmware I'm using (and stuck with) right now. Right now this account works only to login using Telnet/SSH. and it gives me root privileges. But in the web interface it doesn't work at all. The only user allowed in the web interface right now is: "Username:user/Password:HuaweiUser" but it doesn't allow me to edit the VPI/VCI in the connection settings.

Dec 16, 2020
To sum up:

I'm looking for any of the following solutions:

1. Find a way to revert to the default firmware.

2. Keep the current firmware but find a way to log in to the web interface with root privileges.

3. Keep the current firmware and find a way to configure the modem via telnet/ssh (without the web interface).

Any of these solutions would resolve my problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.