[SOLVED] How to configure sharing a folder over the network ?

Robox

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2014
Hi guys, I need some advice on how to configure sharing a folder over the network. The network consists of 3 Pcs with Windows operating system, connected to the same router. One of the three Pc will have to host a folder with some files to share with the other two Pc.

My doubts are as follows:

1) If I leave the password-protected sharing setting off from the advanced sharing settings of Windows, in terms of security and privacy, is it easy to find the shared folder from a PC (that is not part of the three Pcs that need to access the folder) that connects to the router or even from the outside?

2) If I activate the password protection above, does this ensure the safety of the working environment or does it need anything else?

3) if I activate the password, what should I enter as username and password when I try to access the folder from other Pc (the PC hosting the folder does not have a password on startup, if it is the one you should enter) ?

Solution
Actually you may have a number of options:

Starter links:

https://pureinfotech.com/setup-network-file-sharing-windows-10/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf

You can easily find other similar links with applicable search criteria of your choosing.

First, understand what you have now. PC's, Folders, Administrators, Users. For each PC involved.

Second, plan out what you want to do with respect to the shared folder and host computer. A simple sketch can be very helpful. Include PC's and Users who will be granted access to the shared Folder. Mimic the network connections.

Third, set up a TEST folder and get that TEST folder...

Ralston18

Titan
Actually you may have a number of options:

Starter links:

https://pureinfotech.com/setup-network-file-sharing-windows-10/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf

You can easily find other similar links with applicable search criteria of your choosing.

First, understand what you have now. PC's, Folders, Administrators, Users. For each PC involved.

Second, plan out what you want to do with respect to the shared folder and host computer. A simple sketch can be very helpful. Include PC's and Users who will be granted access to the shared Folder. Mimic the network connections.

Third, set up a TEST folder and get that TEST folder configured as you intend.

You could, for example, make a copy of the to be shared folder and prefix that folder name with "TEST".

Do not experiment with or configure the real folder until you have the sharing full understood and working.

Then once the TEST Folder is established, configure the necessary user access rights on the host computer.,

Then, one network PC at a time, set each up to gain access and test accordingly with respect to user names, passwords, and access rights. Do not move on to the next PC until the current PC is able to access the shared folder as you require. E.g. the use of Usernames and Passwords

Last of all should be setting up remote access to the shared folder. That will be a bit more involved.

Take your time and keep notes. It is all too easy to end up going in circles with respect to securely sharing a folder across a network. Possibly trying to work through user names and passwords at perhaps several levels.

Reactions: Robox
Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sharing a file across the network can be as simple as you want up to very specific rights to each individual with access.

Windows 10 really doesn't play well with no user/password situation set up between the sharing computers. So, in this you are likely using one already. When you set up file sharing you just right click, go to properties, sharing, and you click a check box. Now, where it comes to access you can tell it that "everybody" (with access) can do read/write/delete, and anything less than that, and get even more specific as to certain users that can do any combo of those things.

In my own case, for the office, I use a shared folder on one computer that we all work from such as to have access to each others reports and things, mostly for billing and compliance. It's not sensitive, doesn't really matter who sees it or really if it's deleted. What I did in that case was to share it to a username passcode combo that is crazy simple. I went to each of the other computers and created a user profile for that user/pass combo, told it to remember those credentials. Now, with a shortcut in the file manager it's as easy as a local file to work in for all the computers on that Network. I do also utilize a Workgroup name, but as I understand 10 is moving away from that structure.
Other file shares I utilize basically move upward in user/pass difficulty and rights as desired for privacy or protection.

By and large what you do within the LAN side shares should not be any more or less accessible to nefarious agents than the base computer behind the router firewall is.

edit- one other thing of note. Make sure all of the computers are using "Private" for the network type. It is a bit more difficult to deal with when set to "Public".

Reactions: Robox

Robox

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2014
Thank you very much. Everything works perfectly.
Now, having resolved the issue of folder sharing and access, I would need to implement a backup system for data retention security.

What do you suggest I do?

I would have thought of a daily incremental backup of this folder on a second disk, and renew the full backup a couple of times a month:

- Do you think it is all right or do you recommend anything else?

- Also, could you advise me on some free software to do this?

Last edited: