Question How to connect 4 device to wifi using switch and Access point

Jun 30, 2019
Hi,

I have a PC,PS4,Nintendo switch and a NVR devices on the same desk.
All the devices are connected to my existing WiFi perfectly but since the modem is a little bit away from the room the connection quality drops a little, so I am trying to turn off all the wifi on the devices connect them using ethernet cable to a device and connect the device to my existing WiFi through wifi.
For clarification I connect use wires to connect the devices to modem directly and I cannot connect wires between different rooms.
My question is what device do I use to group the four devices using ethernet? Is it switch? Also how to connect the device to the WiFi with internet access?
I started googling access point and routers and I got lost with options.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, you could run a single Ethernet cable to a 5 port switch this the other 4 devices attached to the other 4 LAN ports.

If you would rather connect them with wireless, simply run an Ethernet cable to an inexpensive router configured as an access point. You can then attach some devices (like the PC) to the other LAN ports of the AP and use the wireless for the other devices.

To configure a router as an AP just turn off the DHCP on that AP "router" device and give it a static IP address that is in the network range but outside the main router DHCP range. You will also enter the main router IP address into the AP device as its gateway, attach the Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of the AP device, and insure that the radio is not using overlapping channels of the main router.

Jun 30, 2019
Yes, you could run a single Ethernet cable to a 5 port switch this the other 4 devices attached to the other 4 LAN ports.

If you would rather connect them with wireless, simply run an Ethernet cable to an inexpensive router configured as an access point. You can then attach some devices (like the PC) to the other LAN ports of the AP and use the wireless for the other devices.

To configure a router as an AP just turn off the DHCP on that AP "router" device and give it a static IP address that is in the network range but outside the main router DHCP range. You will also enter the main router IP address into the AP device as its gateway, attach the Ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of the AP device, and insure that the radio is not using overlapping channels of the main router.

I have a repeater with an ethernet port- If I remember correctly it is Belkin N600- can I connect it to one port of the switch instead of the access point?
I would like a solution with as minimum configuration as possible and to connect to the existing WiFi.

RealBeast

Titan
If you have a Belkin N600 you should set it up as an access point not a repeater. If you have the N600 set up as an AP then you will already have three wired LAN ports available (one will connect to the cable from your main router) plus the two wireless bands (2.4 and 5GHz), so you may not need a switch.