[SOLVED] How to connect a no-name ip camera to a general purpose ip camera viewer software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 2, 2020
Is there a way to connect any IP camera to a general purpose application like ip camera viewer or anycam.io? I mean I have purchased several such cameras off ebay and they all come with their own application so I would like to be able to connect all of them into the same application.

Let's take this one for example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Srihome-SH...Camera-Home-Security-CCTV-Indoor/372847526865

I have configured this one to connect to my wifi and has it's own local ip and all works fine when using their app ( SriHome) but when I try to connect using IP Camera Viewer or anycam.io, even if it recognizes an ONIF device, it doesn't connect using the authentication details I've previously setup with the SriHome application.

After scanning with nmap the ip of this camera I've found the following ports opened:

843/tcp open unknown
1300/tcp open h323hostcallsc?
8554/tcp open rtsp
| fingerprint-strings:
| SIPOptions:
| RTSP/1.0 200 OK
| Server: yg rtsp server 1.0
| CSeq: 42
| Date: Mon Feb 18 12:28:41 2030
|_ Public: DESCRIBE, SETUP, PLAY, OPTIONS, TEARDOWN,GET_PARAMETER,SET_PARAMETER
|_rtsp-methods: ERROR: Script execution failed (use -d to debug)
8699/tcp open arcserve ARCserve Discovery

The same reported the Anycam.io application even if it took way much time for than nmap.

Now I'm pretty sure the camera communicated with its SriHome android application on one of those opened ports. Why isn't a simple way of connecting and managing the camera using the ip/port/credentials?

With blueiris is even trickier as I don't even know what protocol should I select http, rstp, rtmp, udp as any of them match my current port combination.

Solution
You are going to be somewhat restricted in your ability to capture data in particular wifi data. Even if it is not encrypted the mimo function makes it very hard to get good captures. Now this is only if you attempt it in the middle generally the data is captured before the wifi itself on a end device.

If you are capturing ethernet a switch with monitor/mirror ability tends to be the easiest.

Not sure if it helps at all but I use blueiris software and it has a fairly long list of compatible cameras. Still there are lots of cameras the intentionally try to force you to buy their dvr. They make it seem the cameras are cheap until you have to bundle it with their dvr.

Ralston18

Titan
The problem being encountered is a self-serving tactic used by manufacturers of many products.

It is called "proprietary" and is used to ensure that no other products or software can be used in conjunction with the proprietary product(s).

And you are forced to purchase from and only from a specific manufacturer or source.

All the worse with no name brands/products.

Sometimes there are no fixes, partial fixes, 3rd party hardware/software fixes, or maybe just plain good luck that - despite proprietary intent - "nature finds a way".

Even if you do get it all worked out the manufacturers are likely to change something and you will need to start over again.

Try to standardize on one product line that follows or otherwise adheres to known/accepted standards.

Feb 2, 2020
@kanewolf After trying the instructions on your link for a while I've discovered http://www.sricam.com/srihome/article/id/33f24ed20ace4be4ab23d7644a2a58ed.html where it does clearly states that for my camera SH020, Onvif is not supported so this is really bad news.

@Ralston18 This "proprietary" thing is BS and needs to stop. I should be able to use any software for the hardware I bought. So even if I see the 8554/tcp open rtsp port opened, it seems that SH020 is not Onvif compatible.
So what do you think the workaround should be? I mean there must be something similar to accessing that IP on one of its open ports and using the authentication that would allow to view the camera, right?

Is there a way to "include" the Onvif to the already existing firmware?

I will definitely look for the Onvif support from now on, is there any other standard similar to this one that will allow adding multiple different ip cameras to one single dashboard?

Ralston18

Titan
As I mentioned someone may come up with a workaround via 3rd party software. How long the "fix" will last is anyone's guess.

Not much anyone can do about proprietary/non-standard products. Other than not buy them....

Unfortunately it is almost as important to determine what manufacturer's do not say as well as what they do say.

If compliance with some specification or standard is not explicitly stated then that is, to me anyway a warning flag.

But even then we can get led astray...

Reference:

https://www.cctvcameraworld.com/onvif-security-camera-compatibility/

Details matter and, for what it is worth, when cameras are involved I will also be taking a closer look at Onvif labeling.

Feb 2, 2020
@Ralston18 After some reading I've found that onvif is an attempt to standardize remote protocols for network communication between security devices that is built on top of the RSTP/RTP protocols and basically adds more functionality and control over the camera by having multiple streams at the time. A basic example of added onvif functionality is PTZ that allows camera movement.

That being said, in order to at least get the video stream I need the correct rtp port and url so I can access the stream. While in this particular case, the SriHome producer has listed 2 different variations of such url, none of them is correct.

rtsp://your camera IP:554/1/h264major
rtsp://your camera IP:554/onvif1

as:

• I do not have the 554 port but 8554 - also tried 8554 instead of 554
  • there is no user/pass included in the url - also tried rtsp://user:password@your camera IP:554/onvif1 and other variations
  • not sure if h264major means anything or if it differs from camera to camera
  • I'm unsure if user should be admin or anything else as the android application only allows a password change
So I decided to sniff the traffic from my phone through their application and see what they are using to get the stream. Will do that using kali linux as I already tried:

• Packet Capture for android - this shows me some connections but not the whole data as wireshark does - Interesting here is that my ip camera connects to some weird Alibaba ips on some weird ports
  • Wireshark for windows - while I do see some connections from the ip camera to the phone I still don;t have access to the packets
There are some other ideas to sniff my phone's application traffic such as using DD-WRT firmware for my router or use a hub to replicate the router's traffic but I find it more convenient to use kali.

If you have other ideas please let me know as I will be back with my findings after using kali.

You are going to be somewhat restricted in your ability to capture data in particular wifi data. Even if it is not encrypted the mimo function makes it very hard to get good captures. Now this is only if you attempt it in the middle generally the data is captured before the wifi itself on a end device.

If you are capturing ethernet a switch with monitor/mirror ability tends to be the easiest.

Not sure if it helps at all but I use blueiris software and it has a fairly long list of compatible cameras. Still there are lots of cameras the intentionally try to force you to buy their dvr. They make it seem the cameras are cheap until you have to bundle it with their dvr.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.