How to connect a sata drive as a slave and ide as a master

trucker45882

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Hello,
i have an ide drive as a master drive and a sata drive i'd like to hookup as a slave to mirror my ide drive on to so i can use the sata as the boot drive and master and the only drive in the system.
i have a gigabyte "ga-k8u-939" mobo with an athalon 64 3000+.
right now i have two ide drives connected as "master and slave" but i want to take all the info off both drives and copy it to the sata and use it as a stand alone drive.
man i've been pulling my hair out over this on and i think my hair going from grey to blue,...lol!!
any help would be really appericeated.
please email me at: trucker45882@yahoo.com with solutions to this problem. thankyou!!!!

If I understand correctly, you have two drives, one of which is your boot drive and one of which is not. Both are IDE, and you want to copy what is on the IDE drives to the SATA drive and remove the IDE drives from the system.

If this is correct, I suggest the following:
1) Install the SATA drive. Ensure that it can be seen from BIOS, but that the system will not try to boot from it.
2) Download something like the free version of EASEUS partition master. Check the size of the partitions on both IDE drives. Write it down.
3) Using your partitioning tool, create a first partition on the new drive that is the same size as, or larger than, the IDE drive with your OS.
4) Download a free "image copy" tool such as EASEUS disk copy. (No, I don't work for easeus. They are just a good example). Clone the IDE boot drive to the new SATA drive. You have to clone the entire drive to pick up the MBR and boot loader.
4) Try an experiment: Can you boot from the SATA drive now? Use the BIOS to select the boot device.
5) If the clone made your IDE-drive partition larger, to occupy the whole disk, use your partition tool to shrink it back down to the target size.
6) Use your partition tool to make a second partition the size of your non-boot IDE drive. Format it.
7) Copy the contents of your non-boot IDE drive to this new partition.

There are lots of variations playing with partition sizes. Some people will create one partition for both the OS and data drives. Some will do as I did, but expand the partitions to occupy the entire SATA drives. Some will think that I am crazy and go out for a beer instead.

----------------------

Or did I not understand what you are trying to accomplish?

trucker45882

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

thanks it kind of worked. i think its a bios problem, tho. i did get the sata set up as a slave which will work for mass data and program storage.

trucker45882

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

do you live in wyoming? i will be moving to montana in a couple of months or less-"i hope".
keep in touch: trucker45882@yahoo